11 Simple Ways to Start Your Year Off On the Right Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

1. Invest in an alarm clock

Alarms on your phone can be hard to keep track of.  Your phone may run out of battery or you may even forget to turn your alarm on.   Buy an alarm clock (or even an iDock) so you’ll never have an excuse for sleeping in and missing a class.

2. Planners are your best friend

Take a planner with you to all your classes.  It’s a flashback to middle school, but it really helps keep track of all your assignments and due dates (especially if you’re really forgetful).  If you don’t want to spend money on a planner, use your calendar app on your phone or computer!

3. Invest in an external hard drive

External hard drives can range between 50 to 100 dollars, but you’ll never regret spending the money when your computer crashes during midterm season and you lose all your lectures (Trust me, it happens when you least expect it!).  Pick up an external hard drive and back up your computer at least once a week so you’ll always be prepared for the worst.  Check out some of them here!

4. Work out!

Easier said than done, but definitely it pays off.  Exercise can seem like it’s a lot of effort, but it de-stresses you, makes you happy, and keeps you healthy!  The hardest part is just getting to the gym.  Get a workout buddy who will motivate you.  There are so many classes offered at the Rec Center, from kickboxing to yoga to spin…and they’re FREE.  Check out the group fitness schedule!

5. Join at least one club.

Meeting new people is one of the most important things in university.  Sometimes joining a club can be intimidating, so get a friend who will join with you!  You’ll be able to meet new people and be able to dedicate some time to something other than studying and rather on something that really interests you!

6. Eat healthy when you can, even if it’s just for one meal!

It can be easy to fall into the cycle of pizza and takeout.  It’s great in small doses, but make sure it’s not the only thing you eat.  Even making a smoothie in the morning or incorporating some vegetables and salads every now and then will help you stay on the right track.  It’ll keep you from feeling sluggish and give you a great boost of energy!  Meal prepping is a good way to keep your eating habits in check.

7. Prepare for those long days of class

Sometimes we get stuck with those schedules where we have over five hours of class a day with one hour breaks scattered all over.  Prepare by packing a lunch the night before (buying lunch everyday can get expensive) and bring some extra change to buy a coffee in between classes to keep you alert throughout the day.

8. And those early morning classes.

We’ve all had that one class that started at 8.30am.  They can be killer, but you can make it more bearable by having everything ready to go the night before.  Pack your bag, pick out your outfit, and have your coffee maker all ready to go.  Now all you’ll have to do the next morning is wake up!

9. Make a study playlist.

If ou’re the type of person who likes studying with background music, this will be the key to your studying motivation!  Make a study playlist out of your favourite songs and instrumentals.  You’ll be more easily motivated to study with your favourite music playing in the background.

10. Use the library.

This one sounds obvious, but you should never underestimate the library.  You can decide on what type of environment you want to study (conversation friendly to quiet zone).  Studying at a place outside your house will motivate you to do work instead of browsing on Facebook.  You’ll end up studying twice as better in half the time!

11. Know when you deserve a break.

We all know that studying is the key to doing well, but the most important part is actually knowing when to give yourself a break.  Don’t spend hours and hours at the library trying to plow through all your notes without giving yourself some time to reenergize.  Even taking a ten minute break every 1-2 hours will help with your studying in the long run (especially when those midterms come up!)

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.