Why Waiting For The LTC Is Like Waiting For Godot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

What You Definitely Know:

No matter what bus route you are on, I’m sure you know the feeling well of LTC frustration well. That standing there at the bus stop feeling, freezing cold with snow melting in your hair. That unique combination of hope and desperation as you wait for a bus, any bus, to flick the signal and slow down as it approaches you. Then that feeling, when said bus never comes. 

What Many of You Probably Don’t Know:

Waiting for Godot is an absurdist play by Samuel Beckett. The most absurd part of this play, however, is that the two characters literally spend two hours just killing time while waiting for some guy named Godot who BTW never shows up. It is supposed to be this deep statement, but really it’s probably the most boring, pointless, and frustrating play ever written.

Like did I mention that after you sit through this thing and wait with the characters for Godot to show up HE NEVER FREAKING DOES… you spend two hours watching this play and the one thing you spend the whole time waiting to happen — never does.

That’s like watching a romantic comedy and at the end the character not only do not end up together, but never get together at all. Like no kiss, no boom-boom, no nothing. They just flirt and flirt and flirt and then nothing and then the movie ends. NOT OKAY.

Speaking of things that are not okay, you know what else is not okay? SPENDING A HALF HOUR WAITING FOR A BUS THAT NEVER COMES, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LTC APP KEEPS TELLING YOU IT WILL COME ANY MINUTE…

Like common’ LTC, if I wanted to spend my time waiting for something that would never show up I would find a nice warm dark theatre with comfortable red velvet chairs that was putting on “Waiting for Godot” buy a ticket and go see it.

I wouldn’t stand in the snow with red frost bitten fingers gripping my phone with the LTC app for dear life, praying the bus I was promised will actually show up before I require treatment for hypothermia, or die of boredom.

I mean, I know life is supposed to imitate art and everything, but please LTC can you imitate some other piece of art, preferably one where the thing which is supposed to show up actually does?

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.