nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Can You Do With An English Degree?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

** So, I’m going to just need you guys to hear me out on this one. I know all degrees/modules face their own stereotypes and mistreatments, but I can only write about what I have first hand experienced- and that is getting an english degree and all the (mis)adventures along the way **

I remember Fall 2010 was the first time I visited UWO’s English Department. Like most prospective students, I was scared, overwhelmed, and felt like it was a very really possibility that I might puke everywhere. Regardless, I soldiered on through the Fall Preview day and made it to the final speech. It was an address to all English majors and it was located in the beautiful Conron Hall.

I don’t remember who gave the speech that day, but I wish that I did so I could thank them. I didn’t realize it at the time, but their words would become somewhat of an inspiration, and I’d find myself looking back on them when I needed reassurance. The man began his speech by asking “what can you do with an English degree?” The room was filled with soft murmuring and an air of embarrassment, we had all been asked this question many times before. But to my surprise, and slight annoyance, he asked us all to stand so he could repeat the question. “But this time,” he proclaimed, “when I ask you what you can do you shout ‘anything I want!’ as loud as you possibly can!!” 

Still a high school student, I was used to attempting to blend in at all costs. The thought of loudly declaring such a confident statement made me nervous. However, I could instantly feel the atmosphere in the room change. Students started to perk up, parents smiled encouragingly- they had told their child this many times themselves (this would also become a favourite mantra of my dad’s to annoyingly repeat to me). So when the man repeated those faithful words, “what can you do with an English degree?” I loudly shouted “ANYTHING I want!”

Despite the fact that I had come to believe this was (mostly) true, I have still been questioned intensively on my choice of major over the years. I’ve chosen a few of the most common questions/statements that have been directed at me in an attempt to clear up some issues once and for all:

1.“So…you want to be a teacher then!”Despite popular opinion to the contrary, more jobs than just teaching involve grammar, spelling, and logically constructing an argument; in fact, all jobs do. It may be difficult for some to see, but English is about more than just studying Literature. It teaches you how to think critically, conduct research, and express yourself in a direct way.

I’m also going to let you in on another secret. It doesn’t matter what your degree is in, but what is important is the fact that you have a degree at all. Bosses in the workforce are looking for someone that they know can ‘play the game.’ University is all about following instructions, adhering to deadlines, and working independently. Not surprisingly, these are all also traits that would be found in a good employee. So, study something you like, work hard at it, and don’t worry about how other people categorize your degree. If you are good at something, career opportunities will come.

2. “Well, if you don’t want to teach, what DO you want to do?”Generally when people ask me this, I can tell from the tone of their voice that they don’t really care. If I told them what I actually want to do, which is write poems and work as a Communications manager, it would fall upon deaf ears. So even though I know most people won’t consider what I want to do as a valid career path, I’ve made a list of some of the most common jobs I know of that people with English degrees occupy:

• Lawyer: an undergrad in English lays a great foundation for law school.
  • Speech writer: with some exceptions, most of the best known speeches throughout history were not written by the person saying them. Behind the scenes, there are several hard working speech writers that make the magic happen.
  • Teacher: Many individuals with an English degree DO want to be a teacher, and the more power to them. English is the ONLY mandatory subject from JK to grade 12, so that alone should tell you something about its importance.
  • Screen Writer/ Song Writer: Attention has been drawn to writers such as Lena Dunham, who created the popular HBO show “Girls.” Without people with English degrees who can write, none of your favourite TV shows, songs, or movies would exist.

3.“Shouldn’t you have taken something a bit more practical?”See above paragraph. I find few things as practical as being able to write in a world that is increasingly forgetting how to do so. I know that we have all seen enough misspelled store signs, resumes, and emails to understand that people do not know how to write. Work is about being professional and your work being accurate; it is impossible to be so if you cannot clearly communicate. Nothing is more practical than knowing the difference between “seen/saw” or using the correct form of “to,two,too” in correspondence.

4.“Everyone with an English degree just ends up working at Starbucks”I mean this in no way as an attack on Starbucks employees, but it is just plain rude to outline where you think people will end up and contain them within that ideal. As with any job, in order to be successful you need to move to somewhere that has the best job prospects. If you live in a small town with a lack of English-related jobs, you may very well end up working at a Starbucks in the meantime. But this is your personal choice, and it infuriates me to no end when the comparison between under appreciated English major and the inevitable barista lifestyle are made.

I’m sure all English majors have felt my struggle between sticking up for what I enjoy learning about versus feeling unsure about what they chose to study. Even out of curiosity for this article, I googled “English Degree” to see what would come up. Several of the sites were just what I expected, with titles such as “Why Are We Training Our Arts Grads To Be Baristas?” and “Want To Earn Big Bucks? Forget That English Degree” right at the top of the list.

What I did not expect was to see all the articles that were pro-English degrees. I read a few and I am happy to say, I think the tides are turning. More and more people are understanding the value of an English degree. Better yet, they are using their English prowess to write about it! I look forward to subverting the stereotype of English as “useless” and continuing to believe that I can do anything I want with my English degree.

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!