We Need to Talk About Bar Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The bar is a place where societal norms are thrown out the window. It becomes acceptable to be drunkards, to interact with strangers, to fight with random people, and to disclose your deepest secrets. However, I believe people still need to ask themselves some questions: Ask yourself would this be socially acceptable? Would you be able to get away with this action in public? If the answer is no, then you probably shouldn’t be trying this action in a bar. Although societal norms are thrown out the window, there are such things as common decency, consent, and etiquette.

THE DO’S AND DON’TS

DON’T push in line. Single file please. We have practiced this for years now.

DON’T touch a person without their permission. Please remember the hands-off policy that has been engrained in your brain since elementary school.

DON’T slap a person’s butt. DO NOT grab it either.

DO ask the person you’re about to kiss, don’t just “go for it.”

DON’T make it so glaringly obvious if you’re staring at a woman’s chest.

DON’T be rude to the serving staff, bartenders, and security—they’re just doing their job!

DON’T snap your fingers at a bartender. If you do, you will be the last person they serve, guaranteed.

DO tip your bartender or server. They work really hard and are at the bar until 5 a.m. some nights. They rely on the tips to keep them going. Not to mention they don’t even make minimum wage!

No matter how busy Frog gets, DO NOT use this as an excuse to rub yourself on someone. I guarantee you no one wants to feel you on them.

DON’T keep pursuing a gal when she says no! NO MEANS NO.

DON’T start dancing on someone. If someone catches your eye, by all means dance beside them, but again this falls under the DON’T touch someone without their permission.

DON’T take your heels off.

DON’T expect a woman’s body to be a reimbursement for the money you spent on her drink. If you buy a woman a drink, remember that is your choice and you shouldn’t be expecting anything in return.

DON’T ask a person to come over and watch Game of Thrones at 2 a.m. Your intentions are clear.

DO keep track of how much you’ve had to drink! Eat a big meal before you go out, and drink water when you need it! Take care of yourself!

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.