The Top 5 Things to Do When You Are Sexually Frustrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Whether you are a sexually active person who is going through a dry spell, or you aren’t sexually active but your libdo craves attention, there is something for you. I asked the Her Campus Western Ontario writers what they turn to when they are sexually frustrated, and this is what they said! Tell your libido to chill because there are a variety of options:

1. Workout 

Sweat off that sexual tension

Working out releases endorphins and dopamine, which are also released during sexual activity. Endorphins have analgesic effects which in turn triggers a positive feeling, this is why endorphins are called the “happy hormones.” Dopamine is also a chemical that releases feelings of pleasure and happiness.

2. Chocolate

“Chillin by the fire while we eatin’ fondue”

According to Softpedia, Chocolate generates a state of euphoria and activates pleasure nuclei in the brain. Stefan Anitei says, “This molecule increases the feeling of excitement, giddiness and boosts the sex drive.” Therefore, you do not need to chill with your non existent boyfriend to enjoy some finger licking fondue. It doesn’t have to be fondue, you can enjoy M&Ms, Reese’s, Lindor etc. Honestly, why not have them all!

3. Tinder 

Let’s be honest, Tinder is the epitome of our sexed culture. A Her Campus Western Ontario writer recommends finding a guy on Tinder and relieving some of that built up tension. I wouldn’t recommend using Tinder for this purpose, if you want to read more about that check out this article on why I won’t download Tinder. However, some people have had good experiences with Tinder and this is what they have to say:

“I would say there is nothing wrong with just finding a guy to meet up with once.” 

“It’s tempting to use the app when you know that the easiest way to get rid of your frustration is only a few clicks away.” 

4. Masturbate 

Alexie, a Western University Graduate says, “I’m just gonna say it, masturbate.  It definitely needs to be talked about, and even more so talked about at a young age, so that young girls learn that their feelings and urges are normal. This will hopefully lead to normalization of discussing both male AND female masturbation — we need to stop acting like it’s some disgusting, perverted act.”

According to a Her Campus Western Ontario contributor, “Your vagina is a part of your body! Masturbating should be a regular, normal part of personal maintenance, just like cutting your hair or getting a pedicure.” If you want to read more about why the taboo should be lifted check out this article

Some more anonymous advice on masturbation:

“If you are sexually frustrated and in a long distance relationship, the best decision is to buy a vibrating dildo from Amazon.”

“Watch some porn, if you are into that.”

5. Hangout With Your Friends 

Have a girls night or go out and dance until you drop. Friends are always there to cheer you up and help you release stress no matter where that stress is coming from.

Amanda is a National Intern, Style and Beauty Blogger and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. She is doing a double major in criminology and sociology at Western University. She is a proud member of Alpha Gamma Delta - Zeta Chi chapter, and makes 99% of her decisions based off of WWEWD (what would Elle Woods Do?). Follow her on instagram @amanda_h_jones, and listen to her talk about makeup *a bit* more than usual at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-7cOzh_oI&t=237s