Taylor Ward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week we caught up with fourth year BMOS and Honors Specialization in Accounting Taylor Ward. Even though she’s from small town called Almonte near Ottawa, Ontario, this determined senior definitely has big city dreams. Taylor leads a busy life with her involvement in student clubs, a job with the Mustangs, as well as a jam-packed social life. 

What made you decide to come to Western?

“Western’s student experience!”

Have you been involved in any student clubs/councils?

“Dan Management Student’s Association, a club that connects students interested in business careers with professional opportunities. It’s a great program for accounting here at Western!”

What do you do at your student job working for the Mustangs?

“I work for the Marketing Department of the Western Mustangs. For this job I sell group tickets and season tickets for Western’s football, hockey, volleyball, and basketball varsity teams. I also get to work on other projects within the marketing department that deal with sponsorship and community outreach.” 

How complicated was the process to get an internership for accounting?

“To get an internship for accounting, you need to network, network, and network some more. So I did just that. I attended an info session for a mid-sized accounting firm in December of last year, way before most reasonable people would start thinking about a summer job. After the information session, I got in contact with a few of the firm’s employees and continued to strengthen my business relationships. This worked to my favour because I was successful in obtaining an interview and eventually being selected for an intern position.  As someone who is from a town outside of Ottawa, I was very excited to work at this firm in downtown Toronto and live in the city for the summer.” 

What would a typical day working at the firm include?

“Since it was summer while I was working, it was not the busiest of times at the accounting firm.  Therefore we only had to put in a 7.5 hour day.  The internship featured a rotational program where I got to try out small projects in the corporate recovery/insolvency group, global risk consulting, as well as lots of practice in external audit.  It was a great way to see how my future would look when I graduate and begin work full time.” 

What kinds of opportunities did you have working at the firm? 

“I got to work with accounting professionals and expand my network.  Also, as interns, we were given a project to design and initiate a fundraiser for the charity of our choice. We came up with a very interactive idea and initiated it at the summer staff party.”  

Where do you see yourself in 5 years in terms of your career?

“Most people tend to stay in public accounting for just 3 years (until they obtain their CPA designation) and then leave for an industry position. However, I think that I enjoy public accounting and will likely stay working there longer.” 

What do you like to do for fun?

“Many will disagree with me but I run for fun. I love to go for morning runs around London when most people are still sleeping. Also, Richmond Row is certainly fun.” 

Who inspires you?

“Easy answer, my mom. She is the most selfless person that I know. I do not get to see enough since I am from rural Ottawa, but I know that I can call her at almost any time of the day, and we can talk endlessly about life’s happenings. Work and a Friday midterm prevented me from being able to go home on Thanksgiving weekend, so she did not miss a beat to come spend Thanksgiving with me in London.”

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!