Spring Break Fever: What to Bring on Vacay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

We often begin the winter semester with the same carefree attitude that consumed our Christmas break: sleeping in, watching Netflix, stuffing our faces, etc.

Before we know it, we’re penciling assignments, readings and tests into our calendars. Then that moment of realization occurs – uh-oh, there’s less time than we thought to get all this stuff done. Commence full-throttle study mode!

But really, “study mode” doesn’t seem possible when there’s only one thing on our minds – planning our spring break vacations! It only makes sense, right? Finish one vacation only to begin thinking about the next. 

And so it begins. You commence your assignments only to find yourself absent-mindedly organizing your bathing suits. You go to the mall to buy a new pair of mitts, and BAM, you come home with a new summer hat and a pair of shades. You’re suddenly very much aware of your uncontrollable pizza cravings, and that pre-vacation diet just isn’t cutting it. Not to mention you find yourself being introduced to a new (or very old) friend, the gym. 

Needless to say, spring break fever has officially commenced!

Whether you’re jetting off to Cancun to party like a rock star, embarking on an always-interesting family cruise or maybe even some volunteer work down South, everyone knows its hard to resist getting excited and planning ahead. 

As a seasoned traveller, I have compiled a list of my fav travel essentials to aid you on your next spring break adventure:

1. We began to see these emerge in full swing this summer, but owning a large-brim hat is a must-have for any tropical vacation!
  2. Aviators – they’re universally sexy. Whether you’re heading to the beach or out to lunch, aviators definitely give you that inconspicuous, cool summer look.
  3. Ladies, you don’t want to go anywhere without a flowy bohemian dress! They’re perfect for a trip to the pool, and you can even dress them up with a chunky necklace and rock it to dinner!
  4. Airplane pillows are essential for creating a comfortable flying experience. Trust me, I have tried every possible sleeping position on a plane and none quite compare to the comfort of sitting upward with a good neck pillow.
  5. A vanity hanger is a perfect way to organize all your bathroom essentials without it looking like a bomb went off in your bathroom. This is especially key for teeny tiny cruise ship bathrooms! 
  6. An empty water bottle or Bubba cup! You may not be allowed to bring liquid on a plane, but you are allowed to bring something that holds water! This way, you don’t have to spend five dollars for a drink at the airport, AND you have a large container for your beverages at the resort.
  7. Aloe. We’ve all been there. Red and sore is never a good feeling (or look)
  8. A recent discovery of mine is an underwater camera/phone bag! Small and compact, the bag transforms your picture-taking device for any wet-and-wild adventure! These are obviously not the only things you should bring on vacation, but they’re definitely handy additions to your usual suitcase contents! Happy Spring Break #HerCampus readers!
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!