Shannon Morgan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Our campus celeb this week is Shannon Morgan, a second year MIT student from the small town of Caledon East, Ontario. Shannon recently finished up a project with one of her MIT classes, a short film called “London Bridge is Falling Down”.  Shannon took the time to talk to the homeless in downtown London, a group of people that most of us ignore as we walk down the street to the bar. After viewing this short film, I wanted to ask Shannon a little bit more about what went into the production process and her reasons for creating it. Take a look at her film below!

AE: What made you decide to come to Western?SM: I primarily decided to come to Western for the MIT program. The courses seemed really interesting, and I couldn’t find other programs that promised the same subject matter. I’m really happy I chose Western. The campus is also gorgeous.  

AE: Describe the assignment that your film “London Bridge is Falling Down” was for.SM: The final assignment for my video production class taught by Professor Sneppova was called “The Uncanny”. The assignment asked us to think of “strange occurrences that cause a certain amount of anxiety…the familiar being broken by the appearance of something unfamiliar”. We then had to tell that story. 

AE: What led you to decide to make a film about the homeless in London?SM: After reading the assignment outline, I went downtown and saw how students walking down Richmond Row got really quiet and anxious when walking past a homeless person (myself included). I saw how the familiar scene of downtown, was broken by the sight of someone seen as “other”. This was unsettling to me, so I wanted to create a film that reduced this anxiety.      

AE: What’s one thing you hope that people will take away when they watch your short film?SM: I hope this film inspires others to see homeless people not as part of the nightlife landscape but as complex individuals. 

AE: What was one thing that you personally learned during your experiences talking with the homeless in London?SM: I personally had misconceptions about the personalities of homeless people before I sat down and talked to them. The people I spoke to were intelligent, charismatic, generous and so witty. I also realized how homeless people are basically harassed and bullied by people walking past. They are often called names and mocked. It was really hard to witness at times.AE: Is there anything that happened while filming that didn’t make it into the final cut?SM: I have about an hour of footage, and I could only cut in about five minutes for the film, so I have a lot of interview footage of people telling more of their stories that I sadly couldn’t use.     

AE: Did the film you produce follow the lines of how you imagined it would turn out?SM: Originally I was a bit nervous when approaching people to speak with and wondered if anyone would want to talk to me. I thought I would come off as intrusive and disrespectful. However, when I described what I was trying to accomplish with the video, those people I spoke to where really happy to share their stories, and I managed to speak with a lot of people.    

AE: What other ideas did you float around for topics for your assignment?SM: I knew I wanted to do this kind of film the day I got the assignment outline. I was so fixated on my idea that I didn’t really think of any other topics I would rather film than the one I was set on doing. AE: What do you do at Western TV?SM: I have been working for Western TV for the past year and I love it. I film, edit, and help create segment ideas at meetings. 

AE: What are some of the things you’ve gotten the chance to do working with Western TV?SM: I wrote and directed “The Bachelor Western” which was a lot of fun. I have filmed a bunch of Minute Updates with Connor Lamoureux, Campus Question segments, and parody videos. Every month we also do a WesternTV Live show at the Spoke and I help make the show run smoothly. I have also had the chance to make some amazing friends and memories which is my favorite part of working with WesternTV.

AE: What other interests do you have besides film?SM: I have played soccer, skied, and Irish danced pretty much my whole life. I also love animals so I’m planning on volunteering at a wildlife reserve this summer.

AE: What do you like to do on your free time?SM: My housemates and I sometimes sit around a campfire in our backyard and sing. I really like going to Rick McGhie’s and doing little weekend road trips with friends.

Quick Quiz:Favourite song right now: gaauhh top three: Tom Odell – “Can’t Pretend”, Matt Corby – “Brother”, Lord of the Dance Soundtrack – “Stolen Kiss” (weirdI know, but you’ll thank me later)Favourite off-campus location: Christina’s PubGuilty pleasure:  McMorris & McMorrisFavourite thing to do while procrastinating: Tumblr  Netflix show you binge-watch: I don’t have Netflix, but I’ve been watching Friends since forever.Favourite beverage: CoffeeSomething you spend way too much money on: Damn printer inkBiggest pet peeve: Double dippers

YAY or NAY:Selfies: YAY (in moderation) iPhones: NAY- team Android Tinder: MIHCeeps: YAYLeggings: YAYBo Burnham: YAY (I met him actually, he’s awesome)Burrito Boyz: NEVER BEEN YAYCoachella: YAYBroughdale: YAYThe cat stickers on FB: Pusheen gets me when no words can. Barney’s: NEVER BEEN YAY

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!