This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Post-secondary schools are rife with breakdowns and all-nighters. While at university, I have met countless individuals who have told me they are on the verge of crisis. A lot of university experiences are filled with doubt, confusion, stress, and second-guessing. Heck- I’m not only talking about the lives of students. Just the other day one of my professors expressed her frustration at the lack mental health services for faculty members.

There are systematic issues that cause the excess frustration and stress on university campuses. I’m not at all qualified to discuss that layered issue. So instead I’m going to talk about a practice I believe is valuable to the lives of all university-goers.

It’s called self-care.

A lot of people don’t know what the heck I’m talking about when I tell them about the importance of self-care. I learned about this method of healing through my women’s studies readings and feminist peers, and I think the concept should be widely recognized by a variety of disciplines; science, engineering, and business students and faculty need self-care just as much as I do.

Here are some self-care methods to consider while at school:

(Disclaimer: I understand that not all of the components of self-care are accessible to everyone. Being able to have the time and money to take care of oneself while at university is a privilege. And that’s a sad reality.)

1. Sleep. I know this seems like a given, but schoolwork is almost always prioritized over sleep in university. If you feel overworked and haven’t been getting enough zzzz’s, don’t feel guilty if you need to sleep in occasionally. A lack of sleep is stress inducing and inherently unproductive.

2. Find some alone time. Balancing social events, club meetings, class, and study time can be hard. Eventually, you need to wind down. By allotting yourself me-time, you can ensure some quiet and relaxation. For some students, this is the time they look forward to most. Taking time for yourself can involve whatever you want it to. I like to spend my down time working on my hobbies (and sometimes I even use it to catch up on sleep).

3. Don’t feel guilty for taking care of yourself. Guilt is a well known feeling among those at university. Missing class, oversleeping, and acting anti-social can all induce guilt but sometimes it’s okay to do the things that make you feel guilty. And you should never feel ashamed to ever ask for help.

Women's Studies student at Western University. I tweet on occasion.