To The Person Who is Afraid of Commitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Dear person who is afraid of commitment,

Your worries are warranted. This world is not a place where growing and nurturing love seems like an easy thing to do. There are so many things that could go wrong, I know what you mean. What if they cheat on you? What if you stop loving them? What if they stop loving you? What if they fall for someone else? What if you lose your friendship? What if, what if, what if. You’re right, all of these things could happen. You could open yourself up to someone just to have them break your soul into a million tiny pieces, leaving you by yourself with only the memory of the person you thought they were. You could think you love someone and then later find out you don’t, and have to break the heart of someone whom you care about deeply. You’re not wrong for feeling this way, all of these things could happen. Your worries are warranted.

But have you ever thought about what could be if those things didn’t happen? Have you ever thought about how amazing it would feel to be with someone who sees the stars in your eyes and hears music when you speak? Have you thought about how beautiful it could be to share every aspect of yourself, your deepest darkest crevices with someone who loves every piece of dirt, slime and mess? Have you thought about how calming it would feel to wake up everyday, roll over, and see your best friend and soulmate sleeping quietly next to you?

Maybe you’re saying now, “Yeah I have thought about that. But what about the stuff you said before? Is it worth the risk?” Here is my answer:

Yes.

Yes, it is worth the risk. People always have the ability to hurt you no matter how much you wish they wouldn’t. There is always the chance that you could hurt someone you love and end up losing an important person in your life. But the benefits outweigh the risks in this situation. The way it feels to have someone who loves you more than anything in the world is worth the risk of being hurt. Having someone who you know will always support you in everything you do is worth the possibility of someday not having them anymore. Because life is unpredictable. Planes crash, trees fall, and hearts break. But love is so beautiful and too important to miss out on just because you’re worried about what would happen if you lost it. You have to put those feelings out of your head and imagine how glorious life could be if you could only let someone in. I promise you, it will be worth it. Even to just feel the touch of something beautiful for a little while is better than never knowing what it feels like at all.

Dear the person who is afraid of commitment,

Your worries are warranted. But it’s time to let yourself fall.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.