Penn Kemp: Poet, Playwright, Novelist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

(Interview conducted by Rachel Lam, third-year student at UWO)

Through Western’s Community Engaged Learning, I have had the pleasure to work one-on-one with Canadian poet, sound poet, playwright, and novelist, Penn Kemp. This interview was designed to showcase a different side of Penn, perhaps on a more spontaneous and personal level. Getting to know someone isn’t so hard after all!

What was your upbringing like?

I live in the house I grew up in. But back then it was surrounded by horse farms and woods, in which I could freely play. My father was a painter, so my upbringing was artistic. Lots and lots of books, as there weren’t many kids living nearby. Lively discussions around the dinner table. But both my folks had serious illnesses, so there was a sense of impending loss.

If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be and why?

Surprised. Curious. Mane.

What makes you wildly happy?

Babies. Lake Huron. Forests. Freedom. A new poem.

If you could live in a book, TV show, or movie, what would it be?

NOT Groundhog Day! The book I have not yet written but hope to write.

What do you feel most proud of?

My kids, grandkids. One or two poems.

Why did you choose the profession that you are in?

Poetry chose me. My plays are more political and/or historical, driven by political necessity to comment on contemporary culture. In The Triumph of Teresa Harris, for example, I am questioning the effects of colonialism, ongoing.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

At Grade 8 Graduation, I expected to win the award for highest marks which was given annually. But instead, that year only, the prize was given to a boy who, in the words of our male teacher, had “shown the most progress.” My marks, however, were higher than his. I was mortified. The teacher was a misogynist.

Are you religious or spiritual?

Spirit-leaning

Who is your favourite author?

PK Page.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

When the computer and I disagree: technology.

What is your least and favourite food?

I think pigs are too intelligent to be eaten but I love bacon.

Where did you go to school?

Ryerson and Masonville P.S., Medway and Central S.S., Western (Honours English), and U. Of Toronto (M.Ed, OISE).

What is the worst present you have ever received?

A doll when I was ten— I felt way too old for dolls.

Do you have any habits? If so, what are they?

Reading, writing, walking, meditation, and Aquafit.

What is the relationship between your speaking voice and your written voice?

That’s an interesting question.  My speaking voice is colloquial. My written voice depends on the genre: poetry, plays, essays. My voice in performance is the most fun: improvisational soundings.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western. 
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.