This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

We all know that around this time everyone is making their annual New Year’s resolutions and sometimes it can be hard to pinpoint the goals that you want to set for this upcoming year.

Usually, these resolutions go something like“I want to go to the gym more” or “I want to eat healthier” or “I want to work harder” and the list goes on. Even though those things are great and everyone should try to follow those types of resolutions throughout the year, why not try adding a goal to your list that is super attainable and easy to do!

So why not set a goal this year to not only take care of your body by exercising and eating well, but to also take care of your skin and give it the pampering it deserves.

The first rule of thumb is to always cleanse your skin no matter if you have oily, combination, normal or dry skin. You always need to take time to clean out your pores on a daily basis (or twice a day). It is always best to cleanse your skin in the morning and at night to wash all the dead skin and impurities that build up throughout the day or while you’re snoozing.

Always make sure that you have some kind of wipe or cleanser that specifically takes off your makeup before you wash your face, as this will ensure that the cleanser is primarily cleaning out the dirt in your pores and not just taking off your makeup that lays on the surface of your skin!

Here are some of my favourite makeup removers and skin cleansers that I have used before and would totally recommend:

1) Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash

2) First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser

3) Cetaphil Daily Skin Cleanser

4) Clean and Clear Morning Burst Cleanser

5) Bioderma Sensibio H2O Water

This is a very gentle makeup remover and light cleanser that really does the job, but you should pair this with another cleanser!

6) Biotherm BioSource Balm to Oil

This is a cleansing oil that is perfect for waterproof makeup

It is always important to incorporate exfoliating your skin every day or every other day as it brightens your skin and takes off all the dead skin that was sitting on your face all day. The best exfoliator that I have used is an exfoliating brush that I pair with my cleanser to really give my face a deep cleanse and keep my skin feeling fresh every day. If you don’t feel like purchasing an exfoliating brush, there are many types of face scrubs that will also be great at exfoliating. Just be careful if you have really sensitive skin because sometimes they can be a bit abrasive.

I have listed a couple options that you may be interested in if you feel like your skin is feeling dull and needs a good pick me up:

1) Clarisonic Mia Skin Cleansing System

2) Foreo Luna Mini 

They have many different types including ones for sensitive skin, combination skin and normal skin, so cater it to what is best for you!

3) Clean and Clear Deep Action Exfoliating Scrub

It is super important that you don’t skip this next step which is to MOISTURIZE every day no matter what the season is and no matter what type of skin you have! Moisturizing is so vital in keeping your skin healthy as it quenches your skin, especially in the winter months. But, you shouldn’t forget to moisturize in the summer, as it will supply your skin with needed moisture that in return with help prevent breakouts and too much oil buildup.

You should really take the time before choosing a moisturizer to figure out if you have more oily skin or more dry skin as if you don’t make the right choice the moisturizer will not meet the needs of your skin! If you have more oily skin, choose an oil-free moisturizer or a more decadent, dense moisturizer if you have drier skin. Also, you can’t forget to moisturize that under-eye area as it will not only prevent wrinkles down the line but also help keep that concealer stay on longer and avoid dry patches!   

I have listed some of my favourite moisturizers that I have discovered throughout the years, but don’t worry, I took the time to let you know which moisturizer works best for each type of skin:

1) Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (oily skin)

2) Aveeno Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 (combo to normal skin)

3) Embryolisse 24-Hour Miracle Cream (dry to normal skin)

4) Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream

Hylacounic acid locks in deep moisture but without an oily and greasy residue, it’s my skin care staple!

After long days at school or work, your skin can start looking super tired and dull. Even after you have tried everything, it still isn’t looking its best self. Well let me tell you that after a luxurious face mask your skin will be looking better than ever. It is always really important to invest in face masks that really hydrate and purify your skin to keep your skin glowing and looking fresh all week long!

Here are a couple facemasks that I either constantly reach for once or twice a week or have wanted to try for a while now:

1) Origins Drink up 10 Minute Mask

2) Laneige Water Sleeping Mask

I love this new find!

3) GLAMGLOW Supermud Clearing Treatment

I also have some freebie tips to give to you if you’re interested in some more pampering types of skin care. I really enjoy using facial sprays or finishing sprays before and after applying makeup or sometimes just before going to bed. I absolutely love the Mario Badescu Facial Spray as it’s filled with aloe, herbs and rose water, which really help nourish and refresh the skin. It’s definitely an everyday staple of mine and I would totally recommend it to you too!

I have also tried other types of refreshing finishing sprays before that I liked as well; some of them were better before and after makeup application and some were perfect for those hot summer days (which are hopefully coming soon). But, I definitely encourage you to discover one that fits your needs the best.

1) First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Vital Greens Face Mist

2) Caudalie Grape Water

Great for dehydrated and sensitive skin!

Well, that’s all the skin care tips I have for you at the moment, but I can say that after incorporating all these steps into my routine I have noticed that my skin feels a lot smoother, I have less breakouts and my skin seems much brighter and healthier. But, if you only take one thing away from this article it’s to always…

CLEANSE, EXFOLIATE, HYDRATE and REPEAT!  

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.