This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you know me, you know I’m too cheap to buy anything expensive. I splurge on myself and buy a MAC foundation or a Sephora eyeliner on occasion, but most of my makeup comes from thedrugstore. I have experimented with many drugstore products and found my top 5.

1.Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation

This product comes in 12 shades, retails for $8.96 at Walmart and gets you a lot for your money. This foundation is the perfect consistency for a liquid foundation and can be used with a sponge or brush for application. The coverage is pretty decent for a drugstore foundation. I like it best as an everyday foundation so I can save my high quality stuff for special occasions.

2. Maybelline Fit Me! Concealer

My only critique for this product is that I wish it came in more shades. It currently comes in six shades but for a very pale person like myself, one shade lighter than Pale would be perfect. The cost of this concealer at Walmart is $7.96 and well worth the money. It has good coverage and blends beautifully!

3. CoverGirl Professional Loose Powder

Not to be confused with CoverGirl truBLEND Mineral Loose Powder, which I find gives you a pinky tinge (and is also $5 more). The Professional Loose Powder sets your foundation to a matte finish and you get a large container for only $6.97. Unfortunately the product only comes in four shades and does not include any darker tones, and it has a bit of a weird smell to it.

4. Wet N Wild Megaglo Contouring Palette Contour

I prefer the shade Dulce De Leche although it comes in another colour. The price is $3.93 for a large sized compact. I find it’s a great contouring shade and the highlight is alright, but the contour is really the better side.

5. Maybelline New York Color Sensational Creamy Mattes Lipstick

This is a great alternative to a matte MAC lipstick. It comes in eight shades and costs $7.96. These are by far my favourite lipsticks! I can’t even stress how much I love these. They have an amazing matte finish and do not dry out your lips like Imany liquid lipsticks do. It can also be layered well which I have also had a problem with in liquid lipsticks. My favourite shade is Darling Nude.

Dogs, Makeup and Selfies
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.