The Modern Millennial Love Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

He was a boy, she was a girl. Can I make it any more obvious?

Avril Lavigne could not have made it any more obvious, tbh. Our story is one that everyone ages 18-25 has heard. We met on Tinder.

We had matched multiple times and were friends on Facebook. I went home for summer, and when I got back, there wasn’t anything good on Netflix, so I got back to swiping. I told my best friend that I was excited to commit myself to casual dating! I could do small talk and meet new people! I wouldn’t bail every time a guy asked me to go on a date! (Lol, am I right?)

I wouldn’t say that I was afraid of commitment, I would say that I didn’t like making small talk with strangers, and as a long time fan of Law and Order: SVU, every date scenario in my head ended in murder. So, I didn’t really date much.

On this day, we matched on Tinder again, and it was nice to catch up and see a familiar face. We chatted about what songs were stuck in our head, and he told me he was making tortellini for dinner. He asked why we had never actually met in person, and obviously, I didn’t tell him that it was because I thought he was going to murder me. He suggested we meet at the park to look at dogs, and honestly, I can’t resist a dog face. I came home, and saw my roommate asleep on the couch with Netflix on, and realized that I didn’t have anything better to do than go to the park and meet this guy.

And our first date was so nice. Neither of us wanted it to end. After we walked around the park, we got a bottle of wine and some dessert. He kissed me in the rain. He was so sweet, and we saw each other every day that week. We went to the beach the first weekend we were together to say goodbye to summer, and we had such a good time. We deleted our Tinders the second day we were together.

Almost four months later, we’re still together. We talk often about how our first date felt like two old friends who hadn’t seen each other in a long time catching up. It wasn’t awkward, and I don’t remember any small talk. It was just nice. Even now, things between us are just so easy. We don’t fight, we can hang out for hours and not get sick of each other (except for when he turns the TV too loud—that’s the only time I really want to kill him, I think). He’s as chatty and outgoing as I am, and it’s so nice to date someone who has a similar personality.

I never thought I could meet someone normal on Tinder. Most of the guys I find on Tinder have a back tattoo of their last name (like in case you forget how to spell it or?), or exclusively have hunting photos (killing Bambi’s mom doesn’t really scream “date me!”),  or are a little too into their truck (all I can think about when I see truck pics on Tinder is the Transformers theme song). So it’s nice to know that normal guys do exist. You’re probably not gonna meet them at the bar (and I wouldn’t date any guy who thinks it’s okay to just grab a girl’s ass) and you might not meet them on Tinder. But the rom-com magic scene where your hands touch as you both reach for the same organic apple probably also isn’t going to happen.

Be realistic, but keep an open mind.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.