Michelle Obama’s Vogue Cover Came At The Perfect Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I’m scared. After the US election results came in I felt terrified—for myself, for minorities, and for the world. Instantly, I felt a recognition that a woman is still treated so differently than a man, as much as we try to change that. I’ve been feeling down since then, until Michelle Obama’s Vogue cover was released.

While I’m still sad that the Obamas will be leaving the White House, I’m so proud that a woman like Michelle is on the cover of one of the world’s top publications in such a time of change.

Her interview was everything you would expect from a woman like Michelle. She was gracious and fun. A quote from Barack Obama stood out to me: “I think people gravitate to her because they see themselves in her–a dedicated mom, a good friend, and someone who’s not afraid to poke a little fun at herself from time to time.”

Michelle Obama is a woman I aspire to be like, and I know many look up to her this way. Just look at the “Michelle Obama 2020” campaign that’s begun online on behalf of the First Lady. Although she’s stated that she has no interest taking over that role, it’s clear that she’s such a powerful woman that she could do it if she wanted. To me, that’s hope.

Michelle is a powerful, smart and kind woman. When looking at magazine covers, we typically see models, movie stars and other people straight out of Hollywood, but placing Michelle on the cover sends a message. After the possibility of a female president has been destroyed, a female political icon is placed on Vogue. She transcends the political into the entertainment world, because like Emma Watson or Lena Dunham, she is a powerful symbol for women–one we need to be reminded of when so many social rights issues have come into question.   

If we can continue to admire and promote amazing women like Michelle, I have much higher hopes for the next election, and indeed our future.

Hello! I graduated from my masters in journalism in 2018 and have carried my passion for writing.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.