This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Lush is my neighbor, and we’ve become much closer this year. This girl would do anything for her friends, and is the hardest worker I know. This babe has spent so many nights in the library, studying her butt off, and somehow still manages to go to work and be there for everyone around her. I’m head over heels for Lush- read more to see why you should be too!

Age: 19

Program: Honours Specialization in Criminology

Hometown: The 6ix & Hamilton, ON

Relationship Status: does my serious, committed relationship with my bed count?

Tell me about yourself and all the things you do at Western:

I am currently a second year student. My friends and family describe me as: sassy, bubbly, and sociable. I absolutely love to meet new people and try new things! Growing up, I moved around quite a bit, which has made me become super interested in travelling the world one day, to experience new cultures. I love to laugh about anything and everything and make people laugh in return.

Sometimes I feel like I live, sleep and breathe Western. Not only do I go to school here, but I also work at the Spoke Café and I am apart of The Black Student Association (BSA), The Pre-Law Society (WPLS) and I volunteer through the London Bridges Community-Service Organization (LBCO). Although it can seem like a lot sometimes, I have always been a person who loves to get involved at school and in the community. I enjoy keeping myself busy at all times because it gives me purpose and challenges me to be the best person that I can possibly be.

Why did you pursue your major?

I decided to pursue my major in Criminology because I wanted to challenge myself and my dreams of becoming a lawyer. I have always questioned whether it was something I really wanted to do or can handle? Although I’m not sure if I would like to get into Criminal Law, I definitely want to pursue the career of being a lawyer. I want to be involved in the Law and Justice System where I can educate others about the legal system and help justice prevail. I love the wide variety of interesting and cool courses that Criminology offers as well.

I also wanted to mention that I absolutely love being in the Social Science faculty! Despite people’s criticism and negative opinions of the faculty, I truly believe that it is one of the most important faculties here at Western. Not because it has the most students but because we study disciplines that focus on society and the relationships within society, which I believe to be very important.

What’s your favorite food?

What does one do during a late night of endless studying in exam season? Order some pizza pizza. What does one do after a night out on Richmond Row? Goes and gets themselves a box of Little Caesars pizza. What does one do with their OSAP money? King Ritchie’s for everyone!!

Basically what I’m trying to say is…PIZZA!

What’s your favorite thing to do off campus? 

Going out to new restaurants and trying new foods with my roomies. They have recently gotten me hooked on sushi and now we go like every other week. I recommend Nov. 8 Sushi Galore, beautiful ambiance and even better, all you can eat food!

Who is your role model?

Without a doubt, my mom! Not only is my mother, but she is my biggest supporter, best friend, and she keeps me grounded. I could literally write a 20 page paper about how amazing she is but here’s a few reasons why:

My mom is the only person who has always believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself, the only person who is not afraid to tell me when I don’t look my best or do something wrong, and the only person who has my back through the good and bad times. Not only did she go to school while taking care of three kids, but she is a single mom who works night & day and twice as hard to support her family…making her my biggest inspiration and favourite super hero 

What is your favorite song right now?

I am a BIG music lover, so this is tough…but I’d have to say my favourite song right now (and my roommates can agree) is Work by Rihanna. For hours on end, I can be caught blasting this song in my room and pretending to be badgalriri from the video…let’s just say, I have a long way to go!

Do you have any mottos that you live by?

I try to go through each day remembering that there is always something to be thankful for. Even in what may seem like the worst situations, there is something to be thankful for. It is important to find the positives in every negative situation.

Another motto that I cannot go without mentioning is by my girl, Farrah Gray: “Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs”…key to success *DJ Khaled voice*

What do you want to be when you grow up?

My dream is to be a very successful Lawyer one day! Specifically a Crown Prosecutor. Although, whatever path life takes me on, the goal is to always be HAPPY!

Have you had any classes/ professors at Western that made an impact on you?

For sure, first year women’s studies (WS 1020) has been the class at Western that has made an impact on me. Going into Women’s Studies, I knew very little. The course has truly opened my mind. It has made me become more aware of the societal issues that women face still face today, as well as encouraging and preparing me to break down the exclusive, controlling, patriarchal society that we live in.

One of my favourite concepts that I learned from the course was intersectionality. Intersectionality takes into consideration the different identities in which a woman may possess, such as race, class, ableism, and religion. As a Black woman this term has become very important to me.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

They range from anything chocolate to going to bed super late and waking up at 2pm the next day with no worries in the world, to embarrassingly pretending to be Queen Bey in my room or sometimes in public (I’m absolutely obsessed with her and fun fact is, I have a whole wall dedicated to her in my room).

What’s your favorite thing to do in your spare time?

Chill, stay-in movie nights with my friends, travelling, cooking, SLEEPING, shopping and listening to music.

What are you watching on Netflix right now/what’s your favourite show?

Lately, I’ve been binge watching Gossip Girl. When I start watching it, I can never stop! I love that each and every minute is filled with drama and Upper East Side’s sassiness. I also have a list of shows I have been recommended and plan on watching this summer when I have a bit more time, including: Grey’s Anatomy, Friends, Suits and Emp

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.