How To ‘Galentine’s Day’ The Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you’re like me and love all holidays, then you won’t let not having a special guy to celebrate Valentine’s Day with get you down. Galentine’s Day is as fun, if not more fun, than Valentine’s Day.

As Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) in Parks and Recreation described, Galentine’s Day is all about “Ladies celebrating ladies.”

My best friend (Jessica) and I have never had a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day so we celebrate on our own. One year she bought me a Valentine’s Day themed David’s tea collection, another year we made chocolate covered strawberries and we always make sure to have Pillsbury’s Valentine’s Day cookies.

This year we have decided to go all out. We’re going to buy decorations just because it’s so much fun to decorate for holidays. The number one item on our list is heart shaped helium balloons.

An integral part of Galentine’s Day is food. The stereotypical single girl cries and eats ice cream, but we refuse to buy into that. Although we haven’t decided exactly where we are going, you can bet we’ll be eating greasy foods and eating lots of it — we don’t have anyone to impress! We want to eat at a new and fancier restaurant, because although every day is about girl power, this is a very special day.

Being single on Valentine’s Day is a great excuse to drink away our sorrows. Bethenny Frankel is our fave independent bitch so we’re getting Skinny Girl wine and we’ll be drinking it up in  heart-shaped wine glasses.

After dinner, we are going to a comedy show so we can laugh away our sorrows about being single. I am very thankful that most of my girl friends are single and we can all laugh about it.

Galentine’s Day is going to end with the girliest sleep over imaginable. The day is the perfect excuse to watch chick flicks that most boyfriends would hate sitting through. The list of possible movies to watch is endless: The Wedding Planner, Valentine’s Day, 27 Dresses, 13 Going on 30 and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Dates.

The thing that excited me the most this Galentine’s Day is our gifts! I’ve already treated myself to Victoria Secret items and queen of tarts tea. I thought about buying Jess some cute Valentine’s Day gifts I saw in the Western bookstore, but we ended up deciding to get matching rings from Pandora. I’ve wanted a staple ring for months since so many of my friends have adorable ones that go with everything they wear. We decided to get rings with our birth stones; I’m a ruby and she’s a garnet, so the colours are very similar.

Remember girls: you don’t need to wait for a boy to put a ring on it — in the words of Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari) “treat yourself!”

Rita is a third year student at Western, and is majoring in political science and minoring in film studies. She hopes to work in journalism when she's done her undergrad.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.