sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Do You Know If They Are The One?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Let’s be real here for one second… the modern dating scene is bullsh*t. I’m not going to lie; every single one of my friends met their significant other on Tinder (myself included), so I am just as guilty as the next girl. But as a hopeless romantic, I can’t help feeling cheated by this whole system.

If we are hooking up with all these people to find someone to love us, why are we all pretending not to care?! He was an hour and a half late for your date? That’s okay, you were just going to watch 15 minutes of a sh*tty movie then start making out anyway. He hooked up with another girl from the bar last night? No problem, you weren’t ever “official” anyway.

Relationships have become a game; whoever cares the least is the winner. Then there’s all that confusing “Oh, we’re just a ‘thing’” sh*t that I can’t even begin to understand. In my mind, you either want to be together or you don’t. You can either see a life with that person or you can’t. The rest is just boredom and loneliness.

So maybe I’m being a bit harsh. Sometimes you meet someone who isn’t afraid to care. They make you laugh and hold your hand in public. But how do you know if they are “the one”? In short… you don’t.

Life is hard and relationships are hard and people can be sh*tty but if they make it all a little more tolerable then I think that’s a good place to start. It’s not always logical. Sometimes you meet someone and for no apparent reason you just love the sh*t out of them. Suddenly you’re listening to their crappy R&B music and getting tickets to see Kanye in concert. It’s not that you’re changing who you are for them (I’m still a self-proclaimed music snob); you just love the way their eyes light up when their favourite song comes on. Basically, you’d rather be fools together than sensible apart.

I don’t think you can ever know if someone is “the one,” but there are some signs. Like if you like to sleep alone but would rather sleep with them. Or you’re happy being single but happier being theirs. If the thought of a future without them in it makes your stomach burn or telling them goodbye leaves a bad taste in your mouth. You can’t really know if you’re meant to be with someone, but you can know if you want to be and sometimes that’s the beginning and end of everything.

Charlotte recently graduated from an Honors BA in English Literature, and is returning to Western as a Graduate Student studying for her Master of Media in Journalism and Communication. Catch Charlotte as the Senior Editor of the Her Campus Western chapter. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.