This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Once you get back into the swing of things with classes, assignments, and social activities, it can be very easy to fall off track with positive health habits.  Even eating healthy can become a bother with all of the temptation of on-campus eateries, restaurants on Richmond row, or going out for drinks on a patio with friends.  If you follow these simple steps, however, you will be on your way to a healthier body, mind and soul.

Bring a lunch to campus

As much as you may think that ‘brown-bagging’ it is for losers, it doesn’t have to be!  Bringing a lunch to campus will not only prevent you from gaining that extra college weight, but it will also save you money!  You don’t even have to use a paper bag to pack your lunch in, you can use a lulu bag or any other shopping bag you may have if you want to look a bit trendier.  Trust me, people are not going to judge you, and more people than you think are doing the same thing!  Taking that extra 5 minutes in the morning to pack a lunch will save you $5 or more a day in campus lunches, which can really add up.  You’ll also notice some positive physical and mental health results from eating healthy.

Plan a workout schedule

Developing a fitness plan is a very important way to stay on track, especially with a busy schedule.  Setting goals for yourself is one of the best motivating factors to get fit.  For instance, you could start small by agreeing to go to the gym at least three times of the week.  Then once you get into the habit of going that many times, you could increase it to five.  You can also use positive and negative reinforcement strategies.  For example, if you don’t go to the gym five days a week then you can’t go to the bars on the weekend, but if you do go, you feel better about yourself and you can treat yourself to a night out.

Put in your 7-8 hours a night

It may seem like a lot to ask to go to sleep for that long each night, because there are only so many hours in the day, right?  You’re a busy student, so this goal can be one of the most challenging ones, if not the most challenging to accomplish.  It is especially difficult considering that this rules out all-nighters to stay up and finish assignments.  However, if you DO get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, many positive results will arise.  You will have more energy to function during the days to stay focused in class, exercise, and perform what ever other daily activities are in your routine.  You will also be in a better mindset because you have allowed your mind and body an appropriate amount of time to rest, which is really good for your mental health.

Water x 8

The effects of drinking 8 glasses of water a day are most definitely underrated.  Most people are unaware of the positive effects that drinking the recommended amount of water can have.  The most obvious of these positive effects is that you stay hydrated throughout the day.  People are usually awake for around 12-14 hours a day.  If you drink a glass of water once every hour and a half or so, you should be hydrated throughout the whole course of the day.  Drinking the recommended amount of water also helps to reduce excessive eating.  When you think about it, if you go to a restaurant and you drink water while you’re waiting for your food, so are usually less hungry when the food actually arrives.  These recommended glasses of water are intended to fill us up somewhat, so that we eat equivalent to three meals a day and don’t just eat for the sake of it.  

Snacks instead of large meals

Snacking is a great way to stay full throughout the day, and eating in smaller amounts allows your metabolism to keep up with you.  Your digestion process will be shorter as well.  If you eat three large meals, it takes longer for you body to digest them and for your metabolism to burn them off.  When you bring a lunch to school, instead of packing something like pasta with salad, dessert and a drink, pack a bunch of little snacks that you can have as you take breaks throughout the day.  This way you’ll have something to look forward to every time you get a break.

Set a routine

Getting back into school mode should kind of put you in a routine on it’s own, however, you are the one responsible for making sure that you keep up with that routine and continue to follow it.  Having a routine will put your priorities in order and make you feel as though you are required to perform these activities on a daily basis.  It can include cooking meals, making snacks, working out, designating study time and setting aside time with friends.  This is a simple way to make sure everything you want to get done get’s done, through the organization of your time.  If you have a set routine that works for you, you are less likely to get stressed out and more likely to have good mental health.

Although it may be a challenge to keep up with the pressures of school, a social life and maintaining your health all at once, it is feasible if you use these tips as guidelines.  Start by making small changes to your health and you will watch it progress over time.  Guaranteed, you will see a difference in both physical and mental health if you use strategies to make sure that you are living a healthy active lifestyle.

My name is Brooke Horrobin and I'm going into my 4th year at UWO. I'm pursuing a bachelor degree with a major in Political Science and a minor in Health Science. I love writing and social media. I'm hoping to pursue a future career in human resources or public relations. I love writing about things that a lot of others can relate to. I have a strong interest in fashion and the college life in general.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!