Hannah Martensen: Baseball Babe Alert!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week is Body Health and Image Awareness Week at HC Western Ontario. #HCLoveYourBody

As we all know, there is an endless supply of talented athletes at Western. That being said, Hannah Martensen is definitely not one to be overlooked. One of our very own UWO Kin Games competitors, this 21 year-old, fourth-year Kinesiology student is the perfect example of a well-rounded female athlete. Hannah was born and raised in Ottawa, Ontario and began playing baseball at the age of 6. After watching her brothers play for years, she followed in their footsteps and became an instant superstar. Recently, Hannah has gone on to claim not only national baseball titles, but world titles as well. It has been a pleasure getting to know a bit more about Hannah’s athletic career and I know we’re all proud to say she is a fellow Mustang!

What’s a fun fact that most people don’t know about you? My mom is from England and my dad is from New Zealand, so my brothers and I used to get made fun of for saying weird words that they taught us which we thought were normal. 

What position do you play and do you have a second favourite position?My favourite position is pitching, which is my main role, and my second favourite is shortstop because that used to be my main position.

Do you have any pre-game traditions or superstitions? I used to when I was younger, but now, I just have to do my warm up the same way every time, and I never step on the white lines on the field. 

What is your highest ranking title or achievement? Personally, it would have to be becoming a member of the national team four consecutive years in a row, and my highest achievement would be a Bronze medal at the 2012 World Cup in Edmonton.

What’s your favourite moment in your baseball career? There have been a lot, but I would say my first World Cup pitching appearance in 2012 against Japan as they are the best-ranked female team in the world. I went three up, three down in the two innings I pitched against them, but I will never forget how much my legs were shaking the whole time. 

What are your athletic goals for the future? To make the national team this summer and participate in the Toronto Pan Am games, and to travel abroad to Australia to join one of their club teams in the offseason.

How do you feel about the “throwing like a girl” stereotype? It’s a little outdated, and it’s funny when I hear it now because in my head I can think of all the girls I know who likely throw better than some of the guys I know. Growing up with it and hearing it always made me want to prove whoever had said it wrong.

If you could change one thing about the sport, what would it be and why? The stereotype that women should be playing softball instead of baseball. Whenever I say I play baseball I have to specify that it’s overhand hardball like the boys play. It definitely gets frustrating that it’s so generalized; a lot of people don’t know there’s women’s baseball. 

What is the biggest challenge you have had to overcome over the years? Mental preparation is huge for me, so definitely figuring out what works best when playing internationally with large crowds. I adapted fairly quickly but always get those nerves when playing against the best in the world. 

Who is your idol? Joe Carter, he played for the Jays when they won back-to-back World Series, and in my mind he is a legend.

If you could send one message to young female athletes, what would it be? There are more opportunities for sports nowadays then ever before, especially in male-dominated sports, so just stick with what sport you love and hopefully you can find those opportunities. 

If you could change one thing about the sport, what would it be and why? The stereotype that women should be playing softball instead of baseball. Whenever I say I play baseball I have to specify that it’s overhand hardball like the boys play. It definitely gets frustrating that it’s so generalized; a lot of people don’t know there’s women’s baseball. 

If you could play any other sport professionally, what would it be? It would have to be volleyball, that’s always been my favourite off-season sport and the one sport I regret not trying to take to a higher level.

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!