The Five Ds of Break-Up Survival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Recently broken up with your significant other? Can’t seem to stop obsessing over what went wrong? Don’t worry, we’re here to help. Welcome to the Her-Campus guide to surviving a break-up.

1.Distraction: Distraction is a key component to getting through this. You need to find something to get your mind off the jerk that broke your heart – or thone you let get away. Find a new show to watch, 
go for a walk, throw yourself into your school work. Do anything that will keep your mind – and even your text-capable hands – busy.

2.Delete:Delete him from your cell phone contacts, BBM, IM, Facebook – everything. It’s not worth driving yourself crazy over. It reduces the urge to text him constantly and it prevents cyber-stalking to see if he’s found someone new. Spare yourself the heartache and the headache and just get rid of him. Or better yet – let him contact you. If it’s meant to be, it will be.

3.Desserts:It’s okay to indulge in a few less than healthy snacks. Go to the nearest grocery store and grab some ice cream, cookies, cake, whatever your vice is. Sit down with your girlfriends and eat up! Don’t worry about how many calories
 are in it, just enjoy the delicious richness of your favourite treat. It will make you feel good to indulge in a treat you would otherwise attempt to avoid – trust me.

4.Drama:Pick up a few new releases for a night in with friends and those delicious desserts. Try picking movies that you wouldn’t have watched with your ex. For example, if he always chose action films, go for something girly and romantic. Don’t look for something that will make you want to cry – that won’t help. Find something that will make you smile or maybe even draw a laugh out of you.

5.Dancing: When all else fails, hit up the dance floor at your favourite club. Call up your bestg
irlfriends, have a few drinks and enjoy a fun night out. Chances are, you need one. Feeling good about yourself is the first step to feeling good in general, so get glammed up and go all out. Wear that sequined mini-dress that’s been stashed in your closet for months and dance your heart out. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even score a cute guy’s number.

Follow these 5 Ds and you’ll be sure to survive this breakup with minimal damage to your ego. Don’t worry, there is someone out there for you. Remember, individuality is crucial, especially as a woman. It helps you discover you who are and what your morals are. Are you going to be the girl who sits alone at Starbucks reading her favourite book? Do you even know if you have a favourite book? Are you going to be a party girl, a nerd or maybe even a jock? Will you be sociable? Will you be promiscuous? These are things you need to find on your own. You need to take it upon yourself to find out who you are going to be or who you’ve already become. So if you’re single, don’t fret. You’re coming into your own as a strong, independent woman. You will know who you are and what you want out of life by the time the right person finds you. If you just got out of a relationship, keep in mind that it is important to take time for yourself and go out and discover who you are.

Krystyna is in her fourth year at Western University, formerly the University of Western Ontario. She is majoring in Arts and Humanities, with a Specialization in the English Language and Literature. She hopes to pursue a career in teaching with a fallback on journalism. Fair warning, she is a bit of a grammar freak and as such is a trusted HerCampus Western Ontario editor. She loves fashion, literature, music and film - subjects which she also happens to enjoy writing about, so stay tuned. All in all, Krystyna is a proud member of the HerCampus community and she looks forward to writing for you.
Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.