Empowering Women in Leadership – Western Ontario

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In support of International Women’s Day, the U. S. She brings in keynote speaker and Western alumna,, Marni Dicker, to inspire young women leaders on campus. Here are her three tips for success. 

Starbucks in hand, Western alumna and keynote speaker, Marni Dicker, doesn’t stay perched at the podium to deliver her speech, but organizes the audience into a discussion circle. Poised and approachable, she asks the students in attendance about their goals and stories before revealing her own.

In celebration of International Women’s Day, Dicker was invited to the University Students’ Council event, U.S.She, to talk about finding success in a world still dominated by men.  

“We chose to bring Marnie Dicker to speak because of her many accomplishments as a corporate female leader in the private and public sectors,” says USC president, Sophie Helpard. “She was able to speak about her wealth of experience and offer herself as a mentor for all of the students that attended.”

Helpard was passionate to organize this event to inspire young women on campus to get involved.

“As a female leader I wanted other female students to know that it is good and necessary to talk about the inequality of female leadership in a public setting,” she adds, noting that the lack of female role models in leadership is a serious issue, but one that Dicker could effectively communicate through her attitude toward overcoming her own challenges.

Dicker has been a Western Mustang, a law student, a litigation assistant, senior vice president for SNC Lavalin and is currently the executive vice president, general council and corporate secretary of Infrastructure Ontario while sitting on the board of directors for WireIE. She does all this, yet remains passionate about mentoring young women and guiding pathways to success.

“I was so overwhelmed driving in the main gates as a speaker today – I had tears in my eyes,” Dicker admits. “Western is really where it all began for me and I want to continue giving back to the Western Community.”

What came next was an inspiring recount of Dicker’s life. She took the audience through her story using humour and emotion, but what does she hope Western women learn from it all? In the end, Dicker asks that everyone take away three lessons.

First, listen to your heart. Despite being in a committed long-term relationship, Dicker chose to attend Law school hours away from her boyfriend because McGill was her dream.

“At 21, there was really only one person I had to look out for,” she says. “Myself.”

Dicker chose to follow her heart because she knew it was the right move for her.

“Think of it like this,” she says. “If you see a three hundred dollar pair of shoes that you just know in your heart of hearts you have to have, then buy the shoes. If those shoes are going to make you stand taller, if they’re going to give you confidence, then buy the shoes.”

There were laughs in the crowd but everyone understood: you have to go after what you want in order to feel fulfilled in life.

Dicker’s second piece of advice is to value reputation and power as a woman, trusting capabilities and not being afraid to try something.

Dicker admits that she wouldn’t have gone to university without a push from her parents and she wouldn’t have jumpstarted her working life were it not for a law professor who told her, “Get out there and see what the real world is all about.”

She points out that fear only means you’re headed in the right direction and that staying in your comfort zone for too long will only limit your opportunities.

“Don’t be afraid to step out on a ledge,” Dicker adds. “Just don’t wear stiletto heels because then you might topple over.”

With more shoe puns, Dicker makes it clear that while she vouches for equality, she certainly hasn’t let go of her feminine side to compete alongside men.

“I’m not trying to be a guy,” she says. “I’m just trying to be me and be successful.”

Dicker explains that she grew up professionally in a man’s world and was likewise treated as one of the guys: “They treated me as shitty as they treated each other, and that was okay.”

Still, Dicker reveals that she never wears a pantsuit to work in order to assert and be proud of her femininity. Women shouldn’t have to adopt a masculine stereotype to be powerful and be taken seriously, so Dicker chooses to wear dresses and skirts.

Finally, Dicker comes to her third and final lesson: “If we want to be successful, if we want to care for others, we have to take care of ourselves first.”

For her, this means making family a priority and allotting herself an hour of exercise each morning to clear her head and get ready to conquer each day.

Dicker explains that a balance between work and life is attainable, but something will have to give.

“Women can have it all, not do it all,” she says. “Choose what makes you happy. I don’t have personal time, but that was my choice and I feel very fulfilled.”

Dicker stresses that Western should continue profiling women and their success stories while educating men about the importance of diversity and gender balance as well.

“This world is a better place with equal representation” she says.

Amy Skodak is a first year student at Western University studying English Literature and Creative Writing with a minor in Visual Arts. She is passionate about arts and culture, photography, music, astronomy, travel and adventure. Outside of class she is a reporter for Western TV and writes for the campus newspaper. In her free time you can find her eating macaroons and watching an Audrey Hepburn classic -- Blair Waldorf style.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.