This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In recent years, eastern therapeutic techniques have been taking over mainstream western culture. Matt Damon, Madonna and even Marilyn Monroe have all utilized acupuncture, a traditional Chinese medicine that inserts incredibly thin needles into specific areas of your body to promote healing and to prevent illness. Recently, Michael Phelps competed at the Olympics with circular bruises on his body formed during the process of cupping, another form of therapy using heated glass cups to create suction against the body and stimulate its energy flow.

All this can seem incredibly intense, expensive and overwhelming. For those interested in trying an Eastern holistic approach to health, my suggestion is to start with meditation. From what I’ve learned as I’ve started trying new activities or projects, it’s best to start with the basics and assess after those basics are completed.

The best way I can suggest for those interested in taking an eastern approach to health is to start with meditation. It can require the least money, effort, and time, and offers maximum returns.

I get bored easily and as such I like to have options available. I also know people can approach one task a thousand ways. It’s best to start with the end in mind and ask what you are looking to get out of this exercise. So with that, I present to you the three different ways I like to meditate.

1. The 4-7-8 Technique

If it’s good enough for navy seals, it’s good enough for me. Easy enough to do anywhere, this technique involves breathing in for four counts, holding the breath for seven and having a controlled exhale for eight seconds. It may sound easy, but you will be gasping for air after exhaling for eight seconds–and this is coming from a lifelong swimmer. Warning: try this in privacy first. You will likely feel a little lightheaded as we typically breathe shallowly. This exercise will force you to breathe a little deeper, which can be disorientating at first.

2. Headspace

Created by British native Andy Puddicombe who studied with Buddhist monks for 10 years, this app walks you through the basics of meditation all the way to three hour guided meditation sets. This was my introduction to mediation and offers a western friendly point of view to something that can seem a little overwhelming and alien. He offers 100 minutes of guided meditation free through the Take10 series, which is a great way to test the waters. There is also the option to upgrade through monthly or yearly subscriptions.

3. HeartMath EmWave

For those who like to see statistics or data, this is the way to go. Using an ear or finger sensor to monitor heart beat and other data, it offers a real-time, easy to read summary of how well you are doing at your meditation. Its user friendly data means you can understand exactly where and how you improve.

Each of these options are equally valid, but it comes down to what you personally feel comfortable with, how much money you are willing and able to spend, and what it is you are looking to get out of meditation. The best thing you can do is to approach this with an open mind, know that there will be a learning curve, and that once you reach a breakthrough that this can be one of the best things you can do for yourself. Meditation can offer an instant mood boost, increased mental clarity, as well as many other long term benefits. Give it a go; you might be pleasantly surprised!

An Australian living in Canada after a brief stop in America. You can typically find me: a) listening to music b) cooking something c) eating said thing d) travelling e) involved in a combination of some (or all) of the above.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.