Campus Celebrity: Sierra Harkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Not only is she gorgeous, smart, and Delta Psi Delta Sorority President, she’s this week’s Campus Celebrity! Meet the lovely Sierra Harkins!

Age: 21Program: Media, Information & TechnocultureHometown: London, ONRelationship Status: Single

What are the biggest misconceptions people have about sororities?I think that a lot of people get their ideas about sororities from the movies. Most people think that it involves a lot of partying, and while there is definitely some partying involved (I mean, we are in university), we do much more than that! It’s just about a balance. How did you get involved with Delta Psi Delta?I joined in first semester of my first year. Joining a sorority was something I had always wanted to do, and when I started at Western I had a family friend in Delta Psi Delta who encouraged me to come out to recruitment. What is your role?I’m the President!Is it true that your sorority friends become your best friends?I think so! We do a lot together and spend a lot of time together, so naturally you became really good friends.What’s the most valuable thing Delta Psi Delta has taught you?It has taught me that even though life has its ups and downs, as long as you have people around you that support and care about you, you can make it through anything.I saw you’re hosting a ‘Powder Puff Football Game’ for breast cancer awareness. What does that mean and how can students get involved?This is our first year hosting this event, which will take place on Sunday, October 25th at King’s University College. We will have teams of 6-8 girls playing in a tournament format for a couple of hours and at the end of the day, we will announce a winning team. Anyone who would like to get involved is more than welcome to come out as a player (females), a coach (males) or just to come show your support. The cost is $10 for players, and $5 for coaches, and we will have food/beverages for sale. All proceeds will be going to the Canadian Cancer Society. Students who are interested in getting involved can email info@dpsidwestern.com or contact any Delta Psi Delta sister. How important is it to your sorority to giveback?Giving back is extremely important for our sorority, and I think it should be a priority for everyone. Our sorority does philanthropy every month and we try to incorporate different charities throughout the year. We’ve worked with the Canadian Cancer Society, the Ronald McDonald House, MS Society, and so many more. A lot of our sisters have charities that mean a lot of them, so we want to allow them to give back to those charities while showing the rest of our sisters why it is so important to them.If you could give a few words of advice to anyone considering joining a sorority, what would you say?I would say absolutely go out to recruitment and give it a try. Joining Delta Psi Delta has been one of the best things that has happened to me since I got to Western. I’ve made friendships that I know will last a lifetime and I’ve learned so many important skills that I can take into the adult life with me. If you choose to go through recruitment, always be yourself, plain and simple!Is it difficult balancing sorority duties with school? Do you ever find time to relax?At times it can be a lot to juggle, but it’s all about time management. I know that if I’m ever overwhelmed with sorority responsibilities I can count on the rest of my sisters to help me out. That’s what sisters are for!Who is your role model?Within my sorority, our Chapter Founder Lisa Campanale has been a really big role model for me since joining. She has always been there to help me with whatever I need, and since she used to be the President, she’s been able to give me some good advice that’s helped me out a lot this year. Outside of the sorority, I would say Lilly Pulitzer. She started a huge clothing company because she was trying to cover up a juice stain on her dress. I just think that’s a great story.What is your favourite song right now?I really like “Kick the Dust Up” by the Luke Bryan. It’s just great for getting pumped up in the morning, which sometimes I definitely need!Do you have any mottos that you live by?I don’t really have any mottos that I live by day-to-day, but when things start to get tough I always think back to Dory in Finding Nemo “just keep swimming, just keep swimming”. I guess if you just focus on one thing at a time, you can get through anything! What else does Delta Psi Delta have in store this year?We host a Charity Pool Tournament every year in late February/early March, with all of our proceeds going to the Women’s Community House. So once we are finished with our Powder Puff game, we will start turning our attention into planning that. We also have our Winter Recruitment in January, which is an opportunity for girls who are interested in joining to come and see what we are all about!

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.