kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Alisha Ding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Meet HerCampus’ celebrity of the week: Alisha Ding!  You might recognize her as the cardio kickboxing and Sculpt and Sweat fitness instructor at the Western Recreational Centre.  This workout warrior is a member of the Western Dragon Boat Club, the Triathlon Club, and is currently in training for the Ironman Triathlon next year!  She is also the Vice President of Communications for the DAN Management Student Association and even created her own menu item at Prince Al’s!  Read all about her and her incredible fitness journey down below!

Program: BMOS; double majoring in Consumer Behaviour and Psychology.  

Year: Third

Hometown: Ottawa

Tell us about yourself Alisha! 

I grew up in Ottawa I’ve always been an artsy kid ever since I was young.  I love photography and painting, which is why I decided to go into marketing.  There’s so much designing involved in that industry.  My parents initially wanted me to go into science and become a doctor, so my career goals definitely deviate from theirs, but they still support me with everything I do.  I think my dad secretly wanted his first-born to be a son, which is why he really likes the fact that I’m into weight-lifting and sports.  

Were you always athletic?  At what point in your life did you migrate towards sports?When I was younger, I was really overweight.  I had a lot of pressure growing up, especially since I was coming from an Asian background.  The only thing that would make me feel better was eating.  All I’d do everyday was sit and eat.  I would get winded every time I walked up a flight of stairs.  I suffered through eating disorders and struggled with my body for years.  I’d be so self conscious of my body not just because of my weight, but because I didn’t FEEL good.  One day in grade nine, I finally decided to do something about it.  I wanted to change.  I started becoming active by joining the rugby team, and I ended up loving it!  In grade eleven, I decided I could take a step further and do more than just rugby, so I got a Goodlife membership.  I started focusing on becoming healthier and more active.  After that, I started losing weight and becoming more confident.  Now I love working out!  It’s completely changed my life.  

How do you keep your fitness class motivated and committed?  You have a lot of regulars in your classes!I keep everyone motivated by saying things during my classes that would get me motivated if I were them!  The most important thing an instructor can do during a group fitness class is to bring everyone’s energy out.  No one wants an instructor who isn’t motivating or engaging!  I find that instructors need to enjoy the workout themselves in order for their class to enjoy it as well.

You’re incredibly involved!  How do you relax?  What do you do in your spare time?This is actually so bad but…I love online shopping!  I don’t really have a lot of time to go to the mall to shop, so I go online.  I’m a big fan of Under Armour when it comes to fitness clothes., I never buy from anywhere else.  My other favourite brand is Urban Outfitters.  If you ever see me wearing anything other than exercise clothing, it’s Urban Outfitters.  Their clothing is just so comfortable!

What has been your greatest achievement so far?Fitness wise, definitely getting my certification to teach fitness classes.  It’s so rewarding to help people get into shape and to be the reason why they keep coming back to the gym.  If we’re talking in terms of something not fitness related, it would be the day I started making money and giving back to my parents.  I viewed it as a marker for finally becoming independent, which is what I always wanted… Well that as well as visible abs *laughs*. 

What are your thoughts on the “perfect body” or body trends portrayed in social media?Whatever’s in “fashion” or the latest body type craze will always change. I experienced body image issues for a long time, and I’ve come to realize that the most important things is to be healthy and feel good.  Your waist-to-hip ratio does not indicate how healthy or beautiful you are.  It’s wrong to have a set of beauty standards that applies to all women.  What’s important is to accept people’s body images and their own standards of beauty.  Every single body is different.  The only thing that matters is your overall health.

If you could teach a fitness class to any person, who would it be?Ronda Rousey; the current Bantamweight champion of female UFC.  It’s because of her that female UFC fighting has increased in popularity.  She’s definitely my fitness idol! 

What’s your favourite quote?There’s actually one quote Ronda Rousey says.  Whenever she gets told that she “fights like a girl”, she always responds with “Good.  I want to fight like a girl”.  That’s my favourite quote because it reminds me that women can be as, or more, fit than men.  No woman should ever be intimidated to lift heavier weights than a man.  

Favourite cheat food?BBQ ribs.  Real American Southern BBQ ribs with fries and cornbread.  

A cool fact about you?I invented a menu item at Prince Albert’s Diner!  Wally Fries.  I walked in one day and looked at the Wally Burger (the peanut butter burger) and thought “Why not have peanut butter on fries?”.  I told the waiter that and now there’s Wally Fries!  

What’s something that people would find surprising about you?I’m super nerdy.  I’m addicted to Fire Emblem and The Legend of Zelda.  My favourite Zelda game is Twilight Princess.  

Check out Alisha’s group fitness classes!

Cardio Kickboxing

Monday: 12.05 – 12.55

Friday: 12.05 – 12.55

Sculpt and Sweat

Monday: 1.05 – 1.55

Friday: 10.30 – 11.20

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.