Boy Meets World Quotes To Live Your University Life By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Boy Meets World was one of the greatest shows from our childhood; it taught us something with every episode. It constantly focused on friendship and being true to oneself, and is relevant to this day. The show can be watched again and again and still come through with the same charm. Although Boy Meets World taught us plenty of lessons, here are some quotes that best reflect university life:

1. “I can’t say certain things, so I write them down. That’s how I get them out. I do that for myself and not anyone else.” – Shawn

Some people talk things out, others paint, or write, or even sing. We’re all going to have some hard moments in university and we need to deal with them in our own ways. Don’t forget to be yourself and deal with your stress the best way for you.

2.    “You don’t have to be blood to be family.”– Mr. Feeny

We meet some of our best friends in university, and some of those friends will become family. Just because you didn’t grow up together does not mean your friendships aren’t important; family is made up of the people you love.

3.    “Friendship is the real gift; it is given with no expectation, no gratitude is necessary.” – Mr. Feeny

We all have people in our past that were our friends, who turned out to not be so friendly. Feeny reminds us that real friends give real friendship, and that a real friend will be there for you no matter what. Even on our worst days.

4.    “See that flower? That flower was in a small pot in my living room but it outgrew its surroundings. So I transplanted it here in the garden. Now when I pulled it out of the small pot in my living room, it resisted a little. It tried to hang on by its roots. I had to force it out.”

“Because you thought it would do better out there in the world right?”

“No, because I thought if I left it there it would stop growing.” – Mr. Feeny

Not everyone is ready to leave home; for those of us on our final year, this can reflect leaving the comfort of university, too. We have to remember that we must move outside of our comfort zone in order to keep growing.

5.    “Every statistic you throw at me is going to be about other people I don’t care about other people, I care about us.” – Cory

We’re constantly told who were supposed to be. We become part of a statistic. Remember that you don’t have to fall into a category and be part of the majority, you are an individual, and your experiences are different than everyone else’s. 

6.    “Because I’m damsel. But not the distressed kind.” – Topanga

Embrace the fact that we are women, and we are strong. We all need help from time to time, but that doesn’t make you a damsel in distress. Topanga was one of the greatest feminists of our childhood.

7.    “If you let people’s perception of you dictate your behavior, you’ll never grow as a person.” – Mr. Feeny

Even though we know the old cliche to “not to judge a book by its cover”, we don’t always follow this golden rule. We are judged all the time, but, at the end of the day, it is our decision to determine who we are. Be true to yourself, no matter what people think of you.

8.    “Lose one friend, lose all friends, lose self.” – Eric

At university,  your friendships are important as they keep you happy and grounded while dealing with the stress that inevitably comes with school. Without our friends we lose who we are, so remember to take some time to be with friends.

9.    “We live in a society where they tell us we have to look a certain way. So we’re all under pressure to live up to unrealistic expectations.” – Mr. Feeny

We have unrealistic expectations to live up to, but knowing they’re unrealistic is half the battle. No one’s perfect, so don’t strive too hard.

10.“You see Mr. Matthews, education is not about obscure facts and little test scores. Education is about the overall effects of years of slow absorption. Concepts, philosophies, approaches to problem solving. The whole process is so grand.” – Mr. Feeny

We walk out of university with the culmination of our formal education; but that’s not where education ends. Remember that we learn everyday, from every experience. Just because you’re not in class doesn’t mean you’re not learning something. Life is a learning process.

Life can get a bit difficult, or stressful at times. Turning to the things you love, like a childhood TV show, is sometimes all that you need. So when life gets hard, turn on an episode and remember to follow the amazing advice of some of your favourite TV show characters.

Hello! I graduated from my masters in journalism in 2018 and have carried my passion for writing.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.