Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Western Ontario Blog

Not That Kind of Girl: A Lena Dunham Encounter

By Brooke Horrobin
October 27, 2014 - 6:20pm

The 23rd day of October, 2014 was no day like any other.  I woke up realizing it would be the day that I would get to cross something off of the top of my bucket list.  I was about to meet my favourite celebrity and writer: Lena Dunham.  She was coming to the Toronto Public Library to talk about her recently published book Not That Kind of Girl.  I had been awaiting this for the past four years of my life. READ MORE

What Movies Taught Me About University

By Alexie Evans
October 24, 2014 - 12:29pm

READ MORE

Her Campus Back-To-School Survival Kits

By Alexie Evans
October 15, 2014 - 6:45pm

Our friends at Her Campus know how difficult it is to get back into the swing of things after summer break. That's why they sent us an awesome Back-to-School Survival Kit to help us get through this transition! Our 2014 Back-to-School Surival Kits are filled with awesome goodies from tea, coupons, and skin care samples! Some of the awesome treats included are: READ MORE

Health Tips for a Busy School-goer

By Brooke Horrobin
October 14, 2014 - 9:38pm

Once you get back into the swing of things with classes, assignments, and social activities, it can be very easy to fall off track with positive health habits.  Even eating healthy can become a bother with all of the temptation of on-campus eateries, restaurants on Richmond row, or going out for drinks on a patio with friends.  If you follow these simple steps, however, you will be on your way to a healthier body, mind and soul.   Bring a lunch to campus   READ MORE

6 Fun (And Almost Free) Fall Activities for the Basic Girl in All of Us

By Raquel Farrington
October 6, 2014 - 6:35pm

READ MORE

Disney Princesses: The Resurrection of Expired Feminine Ideals

By Stephanie Kesler
October 2, 2014 - 4:58pm

Oh, Disney Princesses. Where do I even begin? For years Barbie has been scrutinized for her impossible body proportions, and yet somehow Disney has danced on by, regurgitating the same stereotypical, “feminine ideal” body type for as long as I can remember.  Little to no progress has been made from the first Disney princesses, Snow White (1937) and Cinderella (1950), to the newest princesses, Rapunzal (2010) and Merida (2012). Each princess sports the same perfectly symmetrical face, long hair, large breasts, tiny waist and inconceivable long legs.   READ MORE

Less Chasing, More Finding: Finding The Right Guy is Less Work Than You Think

By Brooke Horrobin
September 25, 2014 - 11:30pm

Two summers ago, I had reached the point where I was ready to give up on the whole idea of dating. Too many failed past relationships led to negative feelings towards men in general.  Were there even any good guys left?  Or were they all taken already?  I contemplated this thought quite regularly. After a lot of thinking, I realized that maybe I was doing something wrong. Maybe I should take a break from the hunt and focus more on myself and my needs and interests for a while. I was placing too much attention on the fact that I was alone. READ MORE

LTC: It's Easy as 1, 2, 3

By Bethany Dietz
September 25, 2014 - 8:16pm

Alas, September is back. Which means UWO students not only get to look forward to insufferably long textbook-buying lines and never-ending searches for seating in the UCC, but also to returning to the stifling hot, cramped LTC busses. READ MORE

Law School Admissions Council Forum in Toronto

By Alexie Evans
September 18, 2014 - 6:25pm

Are you a senior student at Western this fall? Some of you may be entering your final year at UWO, and now is the time where you may be starting to think about (and stress out about!) what to do when you’re finished your undergraduate degree. If you’ve ever thought about going to law school after university, or even if you’re not sure what it is you want to do, the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC) Forum is here to help you broaden your job opportunities for the future. READ MORE

The Five Most Popular Looks of Western Homecoming

By Stephanie Kesler
September 17, 2014 - 10:39pm

UWO’s favourite time of the year is fast approaching. If you’re a typical Western girl, you know that there are many preparations to be made before the dawn of September 20th, 2014. Firstly, do you have you favourite booze and Jell-O shot ingredients? Do you have your Facebook event and invite list of all the people who will be visiting and sleeping on your couch? Have you bought your pancake mix to start the morning off right? Are you stocked with an abundant supply of purple glitter? If you said yes to all of the above then you are well on your way to having a successful UWO Homecoming. But wait! You are forgetting the most crucial part of homecoming preparations: WHAT TO WEAR!  ...