Black Mirror: The Future That’s Only A Minute Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

For those who haven’t seen the Netflix show Black Mirror, let me warn you: it hits home. The show focuses on different stories that all entertain the idea of how technology can be detrimental to our lives and society in the possible future. It’s dark, haunting, and will leave you feeling very uncomfortable—but that’s why we love it. Here is a review of the six new episodes that went out on Netflix this past weekend. Note: light spoilers ahead.

1. Nosedive

Rating: 5/5

In a world where your worth is determined by your “rating,” interactions are fake, nobody can speak their mind, and life itself is a popularity contest. This episode warns of the possible effects of our obsession with social media, as well as dealing with themes about class, socioeconomic status and how we present ourselves to each other. “Nosedive” really makes you think about how we value our social media presence and how it influences our daily decisions.

2. Playtest

Rating: 4/5

This episode speaks to the possible future of human gaming and virtual reality—when humans and computers collide. Referencing the now-infamous “singularity,” the episode explores a man who tests a horror game that roots itself in the brain to project the player’s worst fears. It plays on Matrix-style different layers of reality that’ll leave your head in a spin. Might make you want to think twice about buying that virtual reality headset this Christmas.

3. Shut Up and Dance

Rating: 3.5/5

Out of all of the episodes, this one stuck to my brain like glue. The episode explores internet hacking and the dangers of keeping secrets. Kenny is a teenager who gets blackmailed into doing a series of dangerous tasks; the consequences are harrowing. This will make you want to put tape over your webcam if you haven’t already.

4. San Junipero

Rating: 5/5

This episode takes a detour from Black Mirror’s usual darkness and despair, and tells the story of two women who fall in love in 1987 San Junipero. An optimistic take on a technoculture. Living inside a virtual reality doesn’t always have to be bad.

5. Men Against Fire

Rating: 4.5/5

This episode was a dark critique against American soldiers and war in general. It explores the detrimental effect of killing on soldiers, and technology’s possible role within military culture. It also dissects the expectation the government has to turn people into machines, and raises questions about our idea of the “ideal soldier.”

6. Hated in the Nation

Rating: 5/5

This episode is a monster that critiques Internet “haters,” and how easy it is to sit behind a screen and write a message without any consequences. In this world, the lack of bees has had a devastating impact on the country. It’s a murder mystery with a killer twist—what if there were consequences for writing a hateful message on Twitter?

Black Mirror season 3 is streaming on Netflix now.

Ella is proud to be HC Western's President for the 2017-2018 year.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.