Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Western Ontario Archives

Chia Seeds: The Power Food

By Alexie Evans
February 6, 2014 - 10:59pm

If you’re like me, you’re used to seeing daily uploads on Instagram of “#cleaneats” meals. One thing a lot of these food-grams have in common is the inclusion of chia seeds - and there’s a reason why. Actually, there are plenty of reasons! These gluten-free seeds are a power food packed with benefits that can easily be added to any meal, from smoothies to salads. Here’s a list of some (but definitely not all!) benefits of adding chia to your diet. 1.  Feel Full Faster READ MORE

Student Life

By Rachael Jacobs
February 6, 2014 - 10:49pm

READ MORE

Bruce Jenner's Hair

By Kira Hoffman
January 7, 2014 - 3:27pm

READ MORE

Happily Ever After?

By Rachael Jacobs
December 3, 2013 - 3:25pm

Disney has always instilled the message that every hardship life throws at you could be overcome when you meet the man of your dreams. This ‘Prince’ will sweep you off your feet, marry you and punish your evil stepsisters, abusive parents and malicious nemeses. At last, you will be able to walk into the sunset and the two of you will live “happily ever after”. Ladies, the only way to truly live up to a “happily ever after” is to build your own life as a princess. Relying on individual qualities in order to achieve individual pursuit is essential. Lets imagine Disney’s perfect princess with real, complex issues that are affecting women today. What really happens to these beautiful princesses when we close the last page in the book?...

The Power of Social Media: Amanda Todd’s Lasting Impression

By Alexie Evans
December 3, 2013 - 2:57pm

The Power of Social Media: Amanda Todd’s Lasting Impression by Alexie Evans READ MORE

The Most Unexpected Way to Beat Acne

By Eternity E Martis
November 24, 2013 - 2:05pm

You've tried every product under the sun to get rid of your acne- Clean and Clear, Benzagel, Clearasil, Oxy, Neutrogena, Proactiv, natural products, herbal remedies, teas, prescription pills- you name it. You've been to the dermatologist hundreds of times. You don't know if it's hormonal or bacterial. Everyone tells you it will pass, but nobody takes into account how it's ruining your life. I've been there, too. I've had terrible acne since I was 12. Whiteheads, blackheads, cystic acne, pimples that show up hormonally, scars- I've had it all. I was so depressed with my acne that I sometimes wouldn't leave the house. I couldn't even talk to people because I was worried that my acne would gross them out....

The First Snowfall

By Cavina Tsoi
November 23, 2013 - 7:50pm

I’m fidgety; fidgety and impatient, for the arrival of public transportation. My eyes focus on the slush pushed against the sidewalk, and my ears are trained on the roaring of the machines that rule the pavement. Relentless and unforgiving, the cold always penetrates through, no matter how many layers of cloth I drape over my skin. I want the warmth of my ratty comforter that now lies limp on the cold floor of my bedroom while I am away. A piece of cloth that’s too far worn to be loved, but I treat it like shining armor on cold days. READ MORE

Make Your Favourite Rom-Com a Reality

By Rachael Jacobs
November 18, 2013 - 7:59pm

Okay, we all know Freddie Prinze Jr. movies are a great way to spend a Saturday night. Watching the classic kiss-in-the rain, star-crossed lovers walk into the sunset and that happily ever after scene that makes you go “gee, I wish that could happen to me!” Well, just because it happened in a movie certainly does not mean that you cannot bring that favorite romantic comedy scene to life! Here are a few suggestions that will give you premature ventricular contractions (make your heart skip a beat), trap butterflies in your tummy and make you giggle until your jaw hurts in our lovely city, London. Lighting of the Lights READ MORE

Love Across the Border: Tips For Dating Someone From a Different Culture (and Country)

By Eternity E Martis
November 11, 2013 - 9:50pm

Dating someone of another heritage is one thing, but how about when you are seeing someone who is from a completely different country than you, with opposite cultural views, meanings and traditions? My partner is of mixed ancestry, like me. He is half Sudanese and half Ethiopian. That would be it, except for the fact that he has lived in the Middle-East up until 7 years ago when he came to Canada. READ MORE

Reasons NOT to trust Cosmo With Your Sex Life

By Eternity E Martis
November 11, 2013 - 12:00pm

Cosmopolitan magazine is, for many of us, a guilty pleasure. But after being a loyal reader since high school and developing a stack of Cosmo mags so heavy it could break my shelf, I have learned quite a few things about Cosmo as I got older that now, I can't really stomach. 1) Cosmo repeats the same "Sex Tips" in almost every issue. Taking advantage of our desperation to be "good lovers", Cosmo makes money off of the "100 Best Sex Tips" in one issue (see above picture), "50 Ways to Seduce a Man", "50 Kinky Sex Moves" "52 Sex Moves", "75 Sex Moves", "50 Sex moves", "25 Sex Moves"... Do you catch on? READ MORE