8 Superfoods For Your Skin and Brain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Beauty versus brains. Can’t every girl have both? When studying all day and partying all night we definitely need a diet that can support both our skin AND our intellect. Besides, who decided we can’t have it all?

Here is a list of food items that can keep your brain sharp and your skin glowing.

1. Blueberries

A serving of blueberries can boost concentration and memory for up to five hours. Antioxidants in blueberries stimulate the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain, keeping the mind fresh. This means you can eat blueberries to study more productively for exams!

Blueberries are also packed with vitamin A, C, and E. This is why consuming them will have amazing benefits for your skin. This fruit contains certain nutrients that can counteract the hormonal conditions that encourage pimples. Eating these tiny treats on the regular can help brighten up dull or sun-damaged skin as well as give you more youthful and less oily looking skin.

2. Oatmeal

Oatmeal provides glucose, which gives your brain basic fuel. Since oatmeal is low on the glycemic index, it provides a slow and steady rise in blood sugar that is long-lasting. This leads to several hours of sustained brain power. According to new research in Australia, oats also have properties that can help prevent cognitive decline.

Apart from consumption, wild oats have an important role in skin care. They were used as early as 2000 BC by the Egyptians and Arabs to beautify their skin. Oats are effective in fighting dull, flaky dryness as they contain polysaccharides. To get rid of dryness, you can make a facial mask by mixing a mashed banana with a cup of ground oatmeal and adding some lukewarm milk.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli has two important nutrients that will help improve brain function: vitamin K and choline. Vitamin K helps to strengthen cognitive abilities, while choline is able to improve memory. People who have large servings of broccoli perform better on memory tests! Another key benefit that broccoli has is it provides a great serving of folic acid – which has been shown to increase people’s happiness.

This veggie is also high in antioxidants, as well as vitamins C and E. The vitamin C aids in collagen production and keeps your skin healthy and supple, while the vitamin E protects your skin cell membranes and prevents UV radiation damage.  

4. Dark Chocolate

The cocoa in dark chocolate has been found to improve blood flow to the brain. Dark chocolate contains stimulants such a caffeine and theobromine; however, it is unlikely to keep you awake all night as the amount of caffeine is very small in comparison  to coffee.

Dark chocolate contains very high levels of flavonols, a highly potent form of antioxidants that firms and protect skin. Flavonols can also help hydrate skin and improve circulation. The dark chocolate should be at least 70% cacao – the higher the percentage, the better for your skin.

5. Avocado

Avocados contain extremely healthy unsaturated fats, which helps keep the brain membranes flexible. The monounsaturated fatty acids protects nerve cells in the brain, helps the brain function at its optimum capacity, and helps improve the brain’s muscle strength.

While using avocado directly on the face is a popular natural beauty regimen, many people have found that just eating avocado regularly can do wonders for their complexion. Avocados are rich in healthy fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants that can improve your skin from the inside. It will help prevent wrinkles and slow down the visible signs of aging.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts contain a number of neuroprotective compounds, including vitamin E and omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid). This will help you maintain healthy cell membranes to support brain health, including increasing inferential reasoning.

Walnuts are  also one of the beauty secrets in many skin products. Since walnuts are extremely high in omega-3-fatty acids, it can help your skin lock in moisture and nutrients, making your skin glow. The healthy fats found in walnuts can also reduce skin inflammation and protect the skin against harmful UV rays. The rare and powerful antioxidants may also help control how fast you age by combating free radicals.

7. Salmon

Salmon is a fish with one of the richest concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids. The healthy fats in salmon can help nourish the skin by reducing the body’s production of inflammatory substances, decreasing clogged pores, and preventing fine lines and wrinkles.

The essential fatty acids (EFAs) found in salmon cannot be made by the body, which means they must be obtained through diet. This fatty acid is important for healthy brain function, the heart, joints and our general wellbeing. It has been found that this fatty acid can help you manage stress, increase focus and memory, and help put the brain in a good mood.

8. Beans

Beans are extremely high in antioxidants, which have been proven to improve brain function. Beans also contain vitamin B, potassium and fibre. All these things can help your digestive system tidy up your insides and carry nutrients to your skin cells.

Mixing red beans with eggs is a great way to treat acne. After mixing red bean flour with egg to create the same consistency mixture as cream, rub the mixture on your face. Keep it on for about 20 minutes, or whenever you feel that the mask has almost dried. Then, rinse with warm water. After 2 to 3 weeks of making this mask regularly, your skin will have less acne and scars.

I am an aspiring CPA and Entrepreneur who has a passion for writing, traveling, and being creative on many different levels. I am a past member of the Canadian National Fencing Team, and I love playing sports and being active. I also have a passion for volunteering with different organizations and events; I have been involved in over 30+ organizations in the past year. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.