7 Things All Dog Lovers Know to be True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In my second year of university, my dad decided that I should get a dog. I absolutely love dogs, and I’m very obsessed with them, so this decision was probably the best decision ever. I had never had a dog before, and I was so excited to become a first time dog mom. My Great Dane, Lyla, came to live with me, and we spent a lot of time falling in love. Our family’s pack grew, and we now have three amazing, beautiful Great Danes. These pups have taught me some major lessons about having pets, and these seven things are sure to resonate with all dog owners.

1. If it’s quiet, something bad is happening.

I can’t remember the number of times I’ve yelled “what are you doing?” because it was just a little too quiet and I knew they were getting into some sort of trouble.

2. Big dogs think they’re little dogs, and little dogs think they’re big dogs.

My big dogs always sit on my lap or on my head or on my chest. Little dogs always bark a lot and nip at your heels.

3. Their little smiles will make you cry.

I cannot resist a stinking adorable dog smile. LOOK AT THAT FACE.

4. When they do zoomies…look out.

Brace yourself… furniture is about to get moved.

5. They just want to be by your side.

“Where are you going? The kitchen? Okay, I’ll come with. Wait, now you’re going to the bathroom? Hello, I am here too.”

6. They love the simple things in life.

“Scratch my belly and tell me I’m a good boy. Treats also appreciated.”

7. They’ll eat literally everything.

“What’s in your mouth? DROP IT!”

More of a cat person? Click here!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.