5 Tips For Eating Healthy In University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In University, it can seem impossible to even think about eating somewhat healthy. Everywhere you go there’s pizza – and if you weren’t a pizza eater before uni, you certainly are now! But it’s super important… for not only your body, but also for your mental health to think about what nutrients are entering your body and how they can have an impact on your schooling and social life. According to a study performed by Oxford University in 2009 http://www.fasebj.org/content/25/3/1088.full, not giving your body enough good and nutritious food can cause cognitive impairments. So, when you’re studying at 1am, and you feel the urge to reach for that last slice of pizza…check out these tips to quell cravings and make healthy eating as simple and cost effective as possible. Your body and brain will thank you!

1)    Bring snacks everywhere with you.

I’m not talking about potato chips – Healthy snacks with protein to keep you full throughout the day and stop you heading over to the vending machine! Examples include banana chips, granola bar, handful of almonds, and homemade popcorn.

2)    Eat breakfast!

I know, with that 9.30 class it’s most likely that you’re going to run straight out the door, disregarding your growling stomach. It’s cliché, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When you don’t eat breakfast, your body stays in fasting mode, which contributes to cravings throughout the day. In fact, a study shows http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/07/23/why-is-skipping-breakfast-so-bad-for-our-heart-health/ that skipping breakfast can actually contribute to a whole host of health problems down the line. If you’re an egg fan, an easy way to grab-and-go breakfast is to hard-boil a couple of eggs the night before, peel them, and keep them in a Tupperware in the fridge overnight. That way, the next morning, you can grab them and go! If not, a banana and almonds is a great mix of carbs and good fat that will quell any hunger for that dreaded 8.30 class.

3)    Fail to plan, plan to fail!

It’s so tempting to reach for the phone and order that King Richie’s special, but if you know that you have dinner already made in the fridge, it’ll be slightly less tempting. Making a big batch of healthy dinners that you enjoy, e.g. veggie lasagna, chicken curry, stir fries, etc, and putting them in Tupperware will make it super easy to avoid eating greasy, fatty convenience food and keep you mind and body happy to finish that essay!

4)    Veggies are your friend. 

I am a huge fan of frozen vegetables. They’re so convenient and ready to add to just about anything! Add green beans and broccoli to your pastas, stir fries, and even ramen to add a little more nutritious value. Not only are frozen veggies cheap, they’re cost-effective too – since they last for ages, they have a much longer shelf life than that wilting broccoli in the back of your fridge.

5)    Don’t make snack bar a habit.

This one is for those first years – there’s no bigger contributor to the Freshman 15 than those midnight snack bar runs! It’s so tempting to satisfy your cravings for chicken tenders, fries, and pizza, but not long after they become a part of your nightly routine, you will start to see the damage! A tip? Keep snacks in your mini fridge that will stop you from running down to the caf at the first sign of hunger. This will also save you money on your meal plan, saving you from eating the cheapest caf scraps in April – trust me on this one!

If you do splurge and eat junk food once in a while, that’s ok! However, making it a habit can be detrimental to your physical and mental well-being. 

Ella is proud to be HC Western's President for the 2017-2018 year.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.