24 Things I’ve Learned From Living With Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It doesn’t matter whether you have only-child syndrome and you cringe with just the idea of sharing or if you grew up in a full-house with siblings. The truth is living with roommates says a lot about who you are as a person, and even more about who you’re actually living with. I like to think I am a pro; I’ve lived with five different groups of roommates during my five years of undergrad and here is what I know…

1.     Everyone has a different version of “clean”. 

2.     Each roommate will have a different meaning of the the terms “early morning” and “late nights”. 

3.     Just because you are the best of friends doesn’t mean you will be the best of roommates.

4.     People eat some weird things and at weird hours. 

5.     Food is not an unmarked free-for-all: asking goes a long way (and so does labelling).

6.     There is no simple or easy way to pay the bills. Whether you have a house bank account or you chip in monthly–there’s always something to go awry.

7.     There will be times that you just won’t get along. 

8.     The walls are thin. 

9.     The house Wi-Fi name is a way to define yourself to your neighbours and a prime opportunity to shed some light on your sense of humour. 

10.  Passive aggressive post-it notes are not an efficient form of communication (although some are well deserved). 

11.  Quote walls documenting moments of intoxicated banter and sober word slips are a practical way to execute group bonding. 

12.  The term “quiet” has a wide array of meanings: some are just naturally loud–and at all hours. 

13.  An over flowing garbage is not an excuse to stuff it more.

14.  Each house has a house mom who is always the most responsible and willing to help out. 

15.  A full dish rack/dishwasher should be emptied not further stacked. 

16.  The house thermostat will be the most adjusted setting in the home: you will learn that “hot” and “cold” are subjective terms.

17.  Making weird noises and yelling random words as a house is a perfectly normal way to communicate (and an effective way to reduce stress). 

18.  Nights in as a house with good food, games and/or movies can be just as fun as nights out.

19.  If you binge watch the same brain-numbing TV shows you’re not only compatible roommates but potentially suitable BFF’s. 

20.  Some people are more expressive than others and if they’re in a bad mood everyone will know about it–beware! 

21.  Sharing is sometimes caring: not everyone understands the value of your things so use discretion when lending things. 

22.  You can’t function without a house group chat and if you’re actually doing it right no one will ever be referred to as their real names.

23.  Pick and choose your battles: not everything is worth the confrontation.

24.  Accept that everyone is different and your way is not the only way. 

Abby is a former student at Western Student who studied Geography and Commercial Aviation Management with a Certificate in Writing. She hopes to one day become a Commercial Pilot or Marketing Guru at a big firm and to continue her pursuit in becoming a lifestyle and fashion blogger--who says you can't have it all? She believes that writing is a wonderful and creative way to express yourself. Her insightful and honest blurbs offer a refereshing persepctive.  "I believe that we as a society have the power to change and instill goodness through inspiring others to be the real weridos we all are inside: it all starts with conversation. My mantra is simple: evolve x inspire. Spread the love!" Instagram: @_abbyguthrie
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.