11 Independent Films That Are Definitely Worth A Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

1. SHORT TERM 12

Points of interest: Brie Larson, child care, mental illness, life, hardships, young adulthood, heart break, and teen angst. 

“A 20-something supervising staff member of a residential treatment facility navigates the troubled waters of that world alongside her co-worker and longtime boyfriend.”

2. ELECTRICK CHILDREN

Points of interest: Cult, morman, teen angst, music, rebellion, innocence, abuse, and sexuality. 

“Rachel, a teenager born and raised in her Mormon community, believes that she has been inpregnated by listening to music and must get to Vegas to find the “father” of her miracle baby.”

3. ABOUT ALEX

Points of interest: friendship, suicide, family, reunion, forgiveness, learning, lessons, heartbreak & the past. 

When a group of old college friends reunite over a long weekend after one of them attempts suicide, old crushes and resentments shine light on their life decisions, and ultimately push friendships and relationships to the brink.”

4. ABDUCTION OF EDEN

Points of interest: Prostitutions, sex ring, sexuality, abuse, sex trade, trafficking, survival, and exploitation. 

“A young Korean-American girl, abducted and forced into prostitution by domestic human traffickers, joins forces with her captors in a desperate plea to survive.”

5. CREEP

Points of interest: documentary, docu-drama, found-footage, horror, thriller, mental illness, psychotic breaks, and twists. 

When a videographer answers a Craigslist ad for a one-day job in a remote mountain town, he finds his client is not at all what he initially seems.”

6. THE SACRAMENT 

Points of interest: cult, religious, community, found-footage, horror, thriller, mental illness, manipulation, massacre, and faith. 

“A news team trails a man as he travels into the world of Eden Parish to find his missing sister, where it becomes apparent that this paradise may not be as it seems.”

7. VERY GOOD GIRLS

Points of interest: sex, friendship, young adult hood, teen girls, virginity, teen angst, competition, love, heart break, hardship, and life. 

Two New York City girls make a pact to lose their virginity during their first summer out of high school. When they both fall for the same street artist, the friends find their connection tested for the first time.”

8. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

Points of interest: mental illness, rebellion, violence, horror, thriller, fear, killer, muder, and family drama. 

“Kevin’s mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly vicious things he says and does as he grows up. But Kevin is just getting started, and his final act will be beyond anything anyone imagined.”

9. 6 YEARS

Points of interest: young love, life, drama, relationships, heart break, teen angst, abuse, violence, hardship, and lessons learned. 

A young couple bound by a seemingly ideal love, begins to unravel as unexpected opportunities spin them down a volatile and violent path and threaten the future they had always imagined.”

10. WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD

Points of interest: sex, youth, missing, mother/daughter, dissapearance, mystery, abuse, murder, father/daughter, and mental illness. 

In 1988, a teenage girl’s life is thrown into chaos when her mother disappears.”

11. THE OTHER WOMAN 

Points of interest: step-mother, cheating, family, drama, relationships, loss, love, and self-help.

“A drama that details the story of a woman’s difficult relationship with her stepson.”

* All biographies quoted from IMDB.com 

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.