10 Amazing Places to Study On and Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s time to branch out from Weldon and Taylor library. Here’s your guide to the best study spots both on and off-campus for the 2016 midterm season.

On-Campus

You don’t have to go far to find places that inspire great studying and killer marks. Here are some places to study on-campus:

1. The John & Dotsa Bitove Family Law Library

The Law Library is located on the 2nd floor of the Law Building, and is entirely devoted to silent study, so it’s a great place for independent reading and work. It also doesn’t hurt that it is absolutely beautiful with its wooden tables, books and stained glass windows.

2. The International Graduate Affairs Building (IGAB)

IGAB is located next to UC Hill. Upon entering the building, you will see a beautiful two-storey foyer with tables, couches and big windows. Despite being in the middle of campus, the building is surprisingly empty, making it a great place to get some quiet studying in.

3. Mustang Lounge

Although Mustang Lounge is pretty crowded during the day, it’s a great study spot during evenings and weekends. It’s got couches, tables, and best of all lots of food options close by.

4. Book a Room!

Did you know that you can book a room on campus? Simply email bookroom@uwo.ca to request a room for a few hours. This is great for group projects and studying!

5. King’s College Library

With tons of cubicle and table space, you’re almost guaranteed to find a place to study at this library, even during exam season. There’s also a Tim Hortons in the same building; I’m not sure what else you could want in a library.

Off-Campus

Looking to break out of the Western Bubble? Here are a few places to study off-campus!

6. Fire Roasted

Wifi: Yes

Outlets: Yes

Fire Roasted is London’s very own coffee company with multiple stores. My personal favourite is the location at the corner of King and Talbot. Aside from enjoying premium coffee, there is a plethora of exotic hot chocolates and teas. With big windows and many tables, it’s a great place to spend an afternoon studying and watching the streets of Downtown London.

7. Ritual Café

Wifi: Yes 

Outlets: Limited

No space at Fire Roasted? No problem! Walk south on Talbot and arrive at Ritual Café. New to London, Ritual has a great menu of pastries and coffees. It’s also got a mix of tables, chairs, and couches. The cute décor and relaxing atmosphere are perfect for studying independently or with friends.

8. Indigo

Wifi: Yes 

Outlets: Yes

Surround yourself with the smell of new books, magazines and stationery. Located directly across from Masonville Mall, Indigo offers a great studying alternative for students. In the middle of the store, there is a large wooden table that is perfect for group work. There’s also a Starbucks  where students can enjoy wifi and refreshments while studying.

9. Covent Garden

Wifi: Limited – You can connect to London Lawn 

Outlets: No

Located in the heart of Downtown London, Covent Garden is on my list of favourite places in the city. The ground floor is full of little shops and stands where students can eat, shop, and explore. The second floor has a ton of tables for students to study. If you’re looking for a completely different environment from campus, Covent Garden is the place for you!

10. London’s Public Libraries

Wifi: Yes – Bring a proof of address to get a library membership and access wifi

Outlets: Yes

London has several public libraries located in different parts of the city. If you’re looking for a quiet place to study that will guarantee you both wifi and outlets, the public library is a great option!

Megan is a fourth year student at Western University, studying at the Ivey Business School. She one day hopes to pursue a career that merges technology and marketing. In her spare time, Megan loves to dance, write, and travel. 
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.