ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Affordable and Thoughtful Gifts for Mom or Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Struggling to think of the perfect gift for you parents on your tight undergrad budget? As November comes to a close, a lot of students are feeling the panic and the pressure to get their parents the perfect gift. As a way to reduce the stress and get your ideas flowing, here are some gift ideas that should have no problem fitting into your tight holiday budget. Obviously all of these could work for either Mom or Dad – just pick whichever best suits who you’re buying for!

For Mom:

• Homemade picture Ornaments/snow globes

If there’s one thing you know your Mom loves, it’s you! Without being too conceited, you can give her a little something to remind her of her favorite child.

• Relaxation kit

We all know Moms work hard all year round, often balancing a career with taking care of you and your entire family when she gets home. It would mean a lot to her to have a little time to herself, just to relax! Try putting together a relaxation kit for her to show her you know how hard she works for you: some bubble bath, scented candles, or even some tickets for the spa and she’d be speechless!

• One year of promises

It cannot be over exaggerated how much Moms do for us – especially if you’ve just moved out, you’re beginning to realize just how far Moms go to take care of every detail of your life! To show her how much you appreciate all of this, try making her one promise that you’ll keep throughout the year. Maybe it’s helping her with chores around the house, or maybe it’s that you’ll give her a call once a week. Either way, it’ll mean a lot to her just to know how much you appreciate everything she does for you.

For Dad:

• Nostalgic movie collection

A lot of times, Dads have that one movie franchise that came out when he was a teenager that he’s still secretly obsessed with – or maybe an old show he still binges on an old VHS player! Finding him a copy of any of these things would probably make for some great laughs and bring back some of his favorite memories, which would mean a lot!

• Playlist of podcasts

Be it on politics, psychology, science or religion, dads have always liked to be challenged in the ways they think. Why not give them something new and meaningful to think about with one of your favorite podcasts?

• An outing for just the two of you

Remember all those times your Dad took you on outings, be them fun or humiliating, as a kid? Why not try returning the favor? Plan a day for you and your Dad to do something just the two of you. Think of one of his interests, or maybe recall one of your favorite memories together from being a kid and plan a day where you can do it all again!

For Either:

• A playlist

In addition to playlists of podcasts, general music playlists hold a lot of meaning. Be it songs from their youth, songs you think they’d enjoy, or songs that provoke memories between the two of you, this is an easy and inexpensive way to put together something thoughtful and creative.

• Classy home-made card

There’s something to be said for a nice simple Christmas card that has just the right meaning. Take the time to write down how you feel about your parents, or things they do that you’re really thankful for. It might be simple, but when you take the time to write something that’s from the heart it’s a gift any parent will appreciate.

• Favorite Treats

You pretty much can never go wrong with a classic baked good – and this’ll be especially meaningful to your parents, who are generally looking to make sure you’re feeding yourself well! Try to think of a food they really love, that would remind them of their childhood, or even your version of a favorite they used to make you!

• A night out for the two of them

A night or a day out with either of your parents is meaningful and a great opportunity for you to bond with them – but it can be equally thoughtful to give them a night out just for the two of them! Give them tickets to a movie, a play, or even a night out to a restaurant they love – any way, they’ll love the time they get to spend with each other, and that you were so thoughtful as to give it to them!

In the end, you know anything you get your parents will mean a lot to them, as something that says how much you think about them! It’s all about showing them how much you care and appreciate everything they do for you. No matter what you pick, just remember it’s all about putting your personal spin on it, and making it something meaningful for them!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.