This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

I’ve been doing a lot of work lately in trying to be happier. While there are obviously bigger things we could be doing to make ourselves happier, we often overlook the little things that we could be doing every day. In my road to self-care, here is a list that I have generated for myself. Just a note that these things may not work for everybody, but I figured it was worth sharing.

1. Smile more – Don’t use smiling as a way to “cover up” your emotions, but use it as a way to be outwardly happy and to radiate with positive energy! Your emotional state influences your body language and vice versa!

2. Focus less on the past  You’re doing really well, don’t let yourself be dragged down by past struggles.

3. Don’t worry about the little things – Those little things that make you anxious don’t need to make you anxious. Everything is okay! School stress does not need to become more than that, pounds and calories are just numbers. Little things don’t need to become big things.

But at the same time…

4. Enjoy the little things – There are so many little meaningful things that are overlooked. Those “insignificant” things are actually really significant. Believe someone when they compliment you. Congratulate yourself when you get a really good grade. Feel proud when you nail that move in dance class. Feel inspired by your good days, acknowledge your strength in your bad days. Celebrate your little accomplishments, because they really do add up.

5. Write more! – In just the short time that you’ve been writing, you’ve learned a lot about yourself. This can only continue to get easier. So, write away!

6. Take some time to relax  You work so, so hard, and you don’t give yourself enough time to relax (or enough credit). Obviously, make sure you have your responsibilities taken care of, but allow yourself to relax and have fun when it’s deserved.

7. Get more involvedExpand your horizons! Don’t be scared to get involved. Your school has so much to offer, so take advantage of the opportunities. Don’t worry about running out of time, you’ll make time. Would you rather be able to say that you were truly involved in college, or that you had a lot of downtime?

8. Stay in tune with the momentA cliche, but a necessary one. Enjoy the moment. Don’t ruin it with worrying about other things you should be doing. Set aside some time without your phone; when you’re with your friends, “disconnect to connect”. Put your full energy into the moment, the experience will be worth it!

9. Go out of your comfort zone How will you be able to fully experience things if you only stick to what you’re comfortable with? Say hi to someone you don’t know well. Try out for something that you don’t think you have a chance with. Just do what feels right- even if it’s not what you’re used to.

10. Love yourself Self-love is so, so, so important. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You are capable of anything.

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Wells Womxn