Need Class Registration Suggestions?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wellesley chapter.

Have you been so caught up with the most recent political events that you forgot about class registration? Are you looking to fulfill the Social Sciences distribution requirement? Or are you a senior, looking to make the most out of your last semester at Wellesley?

Please considering taking Women in the Economy, an economics 200-level course taught by Professor Sari Kerr. She works at Cheever House and teaches this class in the economics department only once a year in the spring. I took this class last semester and it changed my life.

Students explore the real economic data behind discrimination of women and minorities in the workforce and in society. You read articles by Claudia Goldin that translates numbers and regressions into the social stigmas we see surrounding women’s participation in the labor force. As a woman myself, about to embark on the next chapter of my life after graduating in May, I found it enlightening to learn how my choices regarding marriage and children and occupation will affect not only my wages but also how I am treated in the workplace.

After taking Sari’s class, I realize that society still needs so much work. Male inner circle culture, glass ceilings and glass cliffs are preventing women from achieving their potential and instead, we are simply taught to apologize for our success. Now more than ever, we need as many brilliant, educated and passionate young women to make a difference in this world. We need to educate ourselves using hard data and facts and change the way women are percieved in society today.

Grace Li

Wellesley

President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Wellesley. Foodie, travel junkie and lover of mother earth. I'm the one wearing the birkenstocks.