Walking on Sunshine with Nicole Khun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Whether she’s on her way to class, in a meeting, or spending time with her friends, Nicole Khun always has a smile on her face. Her cheery personality is sure to brighten up anyone’s day! I had the wonderful to opportunity to interview Nicole, and was truly inspired by all her involvement on campus. Nicole is a 3rd year Environmental Science student, who also thrives in unique co-op positions and extra-curriculars on campus. She moved away from her hometown Calgary, Alberta to attend the University of Waterloo and has loved every second of her time here! She lives her life by the motto, “I’m walking on sunshine,” as she prefers to live life on a go with the flow routine, and anyone who knows her would see how perfectly her motto suits her personality. Nicole is very involved at UWaterloo as a an Orientation 2017 FEDS Foc, as well as the Vice President of Chapter Development for Alpha Omicron Pi, a sorority here on campus.

Let’s Talk about UWOW17:

As a Feds FOC for Orientation, Nicole is a part of a team of 6 people who collaborate and make plans for the University of Waterloo’s Orientation Week. Currently, they’re in the midst of planning UWOW17.  Nicole’s position is specific to planning events that bring the entire University together, such as Black and Gold Day, Choose Your Own Adventure,  and Monte Carlo! Throughout Orientation Week, her goal will be to ensure that incoming First years have the best experience possible, and truly feel at home as a Waterloo Warrior.

What is your favourite part about orientation?

How it brings everyone together. In my first year there was a tragic accident and we unfortunately lost one of the other students. Although this was a really sad moment for everyone, it showed just how much love there is at our school. All of us felt what had happened, but we also felt the support from our entire school. During Oweek, these feeling still resonate with me. It’s the time of year when we’re all a lot more connected and proud to be at UWaterloo.

What are you most excited for in UWOW17?

I am most excited to have everyone chant “we are all best friends”and mean it! Over OWEEK people develop so many relationships not only in their faculties but across the entire school.  This is definitely my favourite cheer.

How do you get involved with Orientation?

My first year orientation was such a big deal to me because my high school mascot was also a warrior but we had no school spirit.  Coming to UWaterloo,  seeing this pride and spirit was such an incredible experience for me and i just want to share this inclusiveness with everyone. I want everyone to know that they are a Warrior and we are strong.  We have Warrior Pride in who we are and where we come from.

In 2015, I started off as a Feds Event Crew.  That year I was on team Spiderman and I specifically remember setting up the Haunted house in the Physics building. I was  lifted up on somebody’s shoulders so i could tape garbage bags on the windows to block the light. Pun intended,  I felt so supported by the other leaders.

In 2016, I was part of the Feds Coordinators. I was specifically part of the haunted house and I got to explore campus more find the location,  go with the FOC to buy supplies and come up with the plan. What i remember most about last year is all of the leaders being at bomber and we ate a whole lot of strawberries with fondue. These people felt like family to me, I loved them all. At the last event, I brought my suitcase along, and had to go straight to PEI for my Co-op job once it ended. I just couldn’t bare to miss a second of the excitement!

Let’s Talk about Greek Life:

I joined Alpha Omicron Pi, a sorority on campus, in my 1A semester and it was the best decision I’ve made in my university career so far. It has provided me with so many amazing opportunities, and an amazing group of people to share them with. It was nice to find this support system, who shared the same values as me. Not only has is given me incredible opportunities such as being on Greek Council and participating in fun events such as Relay for Life, where we stayed up all night in a thunderstorm, but it’s provided me with a home away from home. The girls that I have met here are literally sisters to me. On my mom’s birthday this year, we all called her and san Happy Birthday. I love my sisters, all of them!

Although Nicole is very passionate about everything she is involved it, it can often make her life pretty hectic. So I decided to ask her for a few tips;

How do you destress?

I look at puppy videos, I call my mom; she knows everything about my life, I talk to my sisters, I read, I love Jodi Picol, I do adventurous things like skating and rock climbing and impromptu trips to Elora Gorge.

What advice would you give to someone hoping to take on a leadership role?

Put yourself out there, don’t be afraid to be to think you’re obnoxious, you’re never as bad as you think you are. Don’t say to yourself, “what can I do to better myself”  but instead, what can I  do to make others lives better. When I first wake up the first thing I do is think of is all the great things that I can make happen in a day. Then I think about all the amazing  people I’ll see. Honestly,  If I can make just one person smile, it’ll make my day. Do it for others not for yourself.

After talking to Nicole for just an hour, she surely made me smile a billion times. Her enthusiasm and passion about Greek Life and Orientation Week, was truly inspiring to listen to. The incoming first years, are so lucky to have such a lovely FOC this year! If you ever see her on campus, I encourage you to take some time to chat with her, and soon you’ll feel like you’re walking on sunshine too.

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!