Ten Things to Do When You’re Feeling Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The world is a mess, period. Sometimes, it just all gets to be too much. Sometimes we just need to see something go right. Whether the political climate or your next midterm has you stressed, here are some things that can help you get out of that rut! Let this article also remind you that you aren’t the only one who is fed up, frustrated, and just plain upset, so you don’t have to go through this list alone. Grab a friend or two and try out some of these suggestions – you might just be surprised at what happens next.

1. Invite your closest friends over for a netflix binge, and watch a show you’ve never seen before!

Good ol’ Netflix, what would the world ever do without you? You’re there when we need to laugh and when we need to cry! There is nothing better in this digital time than binge watching on Netflix. Inviting some good friends over allows you to create new memories and deepen your bond as friends. When the world turns sour, your friends are the ones who have your back! Plus if you start the next episode of Riverdale without them, they could feel so betrayed! ;)

2. Get active! 

Dance, run, swim, throw knives (in a safe and controlled location, of course!) – the choice is yours! Physical activity will get your blood pumping, and if you have any built-up anger, it’s a great way to release it! Exercise has a lot of health benefits, of which I am sure you are all aware. Above all, it will make you feel better. Trust me, I am not an exercise junkie, in fact I avoid it in most situations, however getting out there and moving really can calm a restless heart trust me!

3. Make something!

The feeling of accomplishing something is amazing! Making something will also have the added bonus of keeping your hands busy and your mind off what is bringing you down. So go on and let the weight of the world fly off your shoulders and become something creative. Creating something new is also a great way to focus your emotion, artistic endeavours are a way for you to release what you’re feeling inside. You don’t have to be good at art to do this either, just get what you’re feeling out of your head and onto a page, a canvas, a block of clay – it’s up to you! Plus once you’re done if you like what you’ve made you now have a super awesome thing to put on your Instagram!

4. Go somewhere new and have an adventure!

Take in the sights of a nearby city or town, hop on the GRT and get off at a stop you don’t recognize. If you have the means go as far as you like! Just get out of ‘Loo, a change of scenery and pace will do you some good. Plus you might just stumble upon a super underrated and amazing pizza place! At the very least this will give you an interesting story to tell!

5. Treat yourself!

You remember that Lush bath bomb you’ve had your eye on or that piece of double chocolate cake that makes your mouth water? Go ahead, treat yourself!  You deserve a little something to make you smile. It’s okay to indulge every once in awhile. Just remember that this is a treat, it isn’t a way out, nor should you use this to ignore the real problem. Give yourself a treat because you’re surviving the best you can and you deserve it, but don’t overindulge yourself because that will only end up making you feel worse in the end (especially if you’re overindulging in double chocolate cake, that will literally make you feel worse).

6. Get a haircut or change the colour!

This task asks you take a chance, to change a little bit, and to try something new. A positive change will help keep your mind off things, plus changing your the way you look and getting that fierce new haircut you’ve always wanted is sure to boost your confidence! A little boost to your self-esteem will help you feel better, and will have you feeling like a new person in no time! You will always look gorgeous I’m sure, but when you’re feeling your look that is when you look your best, so go ahead get that cut you have always wanted to try!

7. Volunteer in the community!

Giving back to others will help you see how you can make a difference in the world, even if it’s just by making someone else’s a bit easier. Volunteering will help you see that there’s a whole group of people who haven’t given up on this world yet and are dedicated to trying to solve the world’s problems! You can even incorporate what you’re studying or what you’re passionate about into the process. For example, in Social Work? Maybe volunteer with a local school or day care. If you love animals, why not become a volunteer Cat Socializer? The possibilities are endless! As a bonus, you can put volunteer work on your resume and it looks awesome to employers!

8. Catch up with an old friend!

Connect with someone from your past, and remind yourself of better and simpler times. Meet them in a coffee shop, or somewhere comfortable and give yourself a mental break from all that’s happening, remind yourself of when you did that thing in grade eight that was ridiculous but you absolutely loved every moment of it. Reconnecting with your past  also allows you reflect on what has happened in your life, and why you may be feeling the way you do. Sometimes it can even lead to reconciling with the ghosts of our childhood that still haunt us when we try to sleep at night.

9. Write a letter to your future self

Getting your thoughts out of your head and onto to something tangible is a great way to calm down. Plus, this way, in a year’s time or so you can reflect on the situation and learn from what happened. There are plenty of free websites that will do this for you. My personal favourite is  futureme.org; I’ve used it a couple times and I just received a letter from myself this past January! It allowed me to recognize how much I had grown since the day I sent it and It helped me appreciate the journey it took to get there. It might do the same for you!

10. Get help

If your problems are impacting your mental and/or physical safety, please please please consider getting help. You’re valuable, and you deserve to have a happy, healthy and safe life. While that may not be the case now, you can take some baby steps to get there. The University of Waterloo offers plenty of services that you can use should you need to. Check out; https://uwaterloo.ca/counselling-services/ for more information and contact numbers. If this isn’t quite your speed check out http://glebecounselling.ca/contact-us/kw-mental-health-resources/ for a larger pool of resources. Remember that tomorrow is a new day, and something absolutely wonderful could happen tomorrow if you let it. Stay safe my friends!

This completes my list of 10 things to do when you’re feeling down! This isn’t a complete solution, merely a list of suggestions, everyone is unique and what might work for me may not work for you. However, you’ve got nothing to lose and you may just learn a thing or two on the journey! I hope that whatever you’re going through doesn’t last long, and that you’ll soon be having happier times!

All picture are from pexels.com

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!