This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Hello my wonderful, hard-working warriors!

Before I start off this article, I want to list a number of mental health resources in the KW area:

• The University of Waterloo offers a variety of free workshops, seminars and private and group therapy sessions. Counselling Services is in Needles Hall on the 2nd floor or can be reached by phone 519-888-4567 ext. 32655.  (THEIR WEBSITE)

• There is a distress centre located in Waterloo for the Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention. It’s on 285 Benjamin Rd and their phone number is (613) 702-4446.

• Connex Ontario is a company that provides you a hotline to call or a chat to message their agents. CALL: 1-866-531-2600.  CLICK HERE FOR CHAT.

Exam week is here. We already know that means that over the next few weeks, everyone is either busy being stressed or studying. I’m hoping that you’re taking a well deserved study break by reading some articles written by the lovely ladies of Her Campus Waterloo. I was also hoping that you would stumble upon this article and it could serve as a reminder to you.

I want to remind you to take care of yourself properly over this exam period.

This is such a high stress time and it takes its toll on your body and your mind. I believe that mental health is so much more important than physical health, but I also think it is difficult to have one without the other.

I want you to remember that nothing, not even exams, comes before your wellbeing. This is our whole world right now, but there are many more years ahead of us! If you are content and putting in effort to reach your goals, you’re going to succeed. I’m not saying you won’t fail an exam here or there, but in the long run, everything will work itself out.

Tip # 1: Seek help and talk to someone if you are feeling any kind of negative effect from exam stress.

This is the most important tip I feel I can give you, which is why it’s the only one I’m going to give you. Speaking to someone is the first step in taking care of your mental health and can help further necessary steps be taken if needed. People who care about you would rather see you safe, healthy and happy than in a harmful mindset because of stress. Sometimes they might be the ones causing this stress because they want the best for you. Speak to someone you’re close with about how you’re feeling or use one of the three resources I provided at the top of the article.

I also want to encourage you to check in with our articles over this time period! We have a lot of exam article content around this time that might help you cross the exam finish line! I saw a great one written by Elizabeth in the drafts about how to physically take care of your body during exams. The tips she mentioned can easily be small things you can do to help your mental health, so I strongly suggest you give it a read!

GOOD LUCK AND STAY HEALTHY!

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!