diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Simple Habits You Can Make to be Your Best Self in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

January is a perfect time for fresh starts. It’s a new year, a new term, and a new opportunity to accomplish all those things you always wanted to. Unfortunately, too many of us start the year off with ambitious plans for accomplishing our goals that end up being more overwhelming or difficult than we anticipated. Now the first month of 2017 is almost over, and it’s around this time that giving up can seem tempting, especially with your first midterms just around the corner. Instead of giving up because your original plan was too hard, you can try incorporating a few small changes into your daily life that will help you to be your best self without getting overwhelmed.

If your new year’s resolution was to be healthier…

• Boycott elevators. Take the stairs instead. This could be difficult (and time-consuming!) if you live on the 20th floor. But if that’s the case, try walking up the first 3 or 4 flights of stairs (more or less, depending on your current fitness level), then take the elevator the rest of the way up from there.

• Carry a reusable water bottle. Staying hydrated is important for your overall health and well-being, so try keeping a water bottle with you at all times to make sure you drink enough. This also gives you a healthier (and cheaper!) alternative to buying a sugary drink whenever you get thirsty.

• Add movement wherever you can. Try stepping back and forth while you brush your teeth, do some sit-ups while you watch your favourite show, or pace around your room while you memorize notes before a midterm.

If your new year’s resolution was to improve your grades…

• Disconnect while studying. “Studying” with your phone beside you can make a half hour’s worth of work become 2 hours. To get more quality studying done, turn off your wifi, turn off your data, put your phone on silent – do whatever you need to do to make sure you won’t look at your phone while you’re working.  Don’t worry; your notifications will still be there on your next study break.

If your new year’s resolution was to be more responsible with money…

• Start using cash. Sometimes it’s a little too easy to swipe your debit or credit card and forget how much money you’re spending. Instead, withdraw some cash every week, and then restrict yourself to only spending that much. Seeing the money physically leave your wallet will help you to be more aware of what you’re spending, and prevent over-spending on the little unimportant things.

If your new year’s resolution was to be more optimistic or confident…

• Every day, write down 1 or 2 things you’re thankful for, things you like about yourself, or good things that happened that day. Start a list on your phone or computer or in a notebook or day planner. Then read it over whenever you need a boost.

• Post sticky notes with positive messages in places where you’ll see them often. For example, try “You’re looking great today!” on your mirror, “You got this” on your desk, and “Today can be an awesome day!” beside your alarm clock.

You can’t expect to become a completely different person overnight. Change takes time, but starting with baby steps can help you get to where you want to be. Good luck, and here’s to a great 2017!

Picture Credits:

Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4

Shauny C

Waterloo '19

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets