She dances, she raps, she’s Jezeth Esmas aka J-Fresh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

This week, we caught up with Jezeth Esmas, a Public Health student with a lot of not-so-hidden musical talent. We spoke to her about how she got involved in music, as well as the amazing feelings and fears that come with putting yourself out there artistically. Read on to find out more about this amazing lady!

Name: Jezeth Esmas

Program: Honours, Public Health (co-op)

Year: This one’s a little complicated…After high school, I went into a two-year Pharmacy Technician program at Mohawk College at the McMaster campus in Hamilton. I graduated from that program in 2015 and took a year off to work. At the time, I felt that working in a hospital or community pharmacy for the rest of my life was daunting, so I decided to further my education – and here I am! It’s my first year here at UW but I’m in my 2A term.

Okay! I hear you have an alter ego: J-Fresh. Can you tell me what that’s all about?

The funny thing is…I don’t even remember who came up with “J-Fresh”. I think it might have started off as a nickname and it just stuck. I want to say that it came into existence when I joined CHS Glee – a glee club that my friends and I helped establish at our high school. I became really interested in rap music and writing my own lyrics; however, attaching my real name to what I was creating just didn’t fit, so I decided to make J-Fresh my alter ego.

I’d like to think that J-Fresh and I aren’t that different from one another, but I’ve realized that we do have some characteristics that set us apart. She’s got a lot more confidence than I do – that’s for sure. Despite being 21, I still get really nervous presenting in front of a class. J-Fresh can perform in front of hundreds of people without a second thought. She’s also definitely way smoother with her words.

What inspired you to get involved with music?

It was more of a “who” than a “what”. My inspiration was my Lolo (grandfather). He was a musician, a singer, a dancer; you name it, he could do it. I wanted to be just like him. Lolo passed away when I was finishing ninth grade. It was like I had lost a piece of my heart; he was my best friend. The following weeks after his passing were really tough for me. I stopped taking music lessons and kind of lost my way, but I realized that music would always be the thread that held us together. After this revelation, I got involved with extracurricular activities that were music-related: school assemblies, Jazz Band, and CHS Glee to name a few. It was like everything fell back into place.  

How do you write your own raps?

I don’t really have a step-by-step process that I follow. It depends on numerous factors such as the type of song, the situation I’m in at the moment, the amount of ideas floating around in my head. Sometimes, I’ll hear a song and I’ll instantly know that I want to write lyrics for it. The words just come tumbling out. Other times, I will just put a song on repeat and create a storyline around it. Most of the lyrics I’ve written are about personal experiences.

Did you ever feel scared to put your music out there and how did you overcome that?

Oh, definitely! I used to be extremely timid – borderline introvert – so the thought of sharing personal lyrics pushed me further into my shell, especially when I was just starting to write rap verses. People at school used to scoff at the fact that I was calling myself rapper, it was even worse that I also happened to be female and Asian. There just wasn’t a lot of representation in the industry, so I was ridiculed.

Being a part of CHS Glee really helped me break out of my comfort zone. Alongside the long-lasting friendships I made within CHS Glee, the two major influencers that pushed me to be my best each time that I set foot on the stage are Justin Leroux and Simone Caruso. Although they’re the director and vocal coach of the club, they did more than what I ever expected of them. They were able to teach me valuable lessons that help me overcome obstacles in my daily life. They’ve become more than just mentors and I’m thankful for that, for them.

You just performed at Cultural Caravan, tell me more about what that was like.

Overall, it was a fun experience! I was a dancer in UWFSA’s hip-hop group but I haven’t learned any hip-hop choreo since I was in high school. We had six-hour practices per week for over a month, so our choreographers definitely put my ass back to work. I also got to perform a rendition of Lateeya’s “Lullaby” with my friend, Vivian. You can find UWFSA’s performances on our YouTube channel.

Cultural Caravan provides a really good opportunity to show the school community what your club is about while also showcasing traditional and modern concepts that exist in your culture. It’s a great event, so I recommend getting involved!

Is there anywhere else we can find J-Fresh?

My friends are always joking around, asking me to drop a mixtape because I’ve covered a ton of songs over the last few years but I’ve never taken their requests seriously.

I don’t have that much out there, but whatever I do have recorded is on my soundcloud. It’s a work in progress; I’m trying to put more of my work out there.

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to get involved in music?

Invest.

Invest in an instrument, equipment, or lessons; invest in the time to learn how to develop your talent; but most importantly, invest and trust in yourself. If you work really hard at something you love, it will show and it will be worth it.

Also, learn how to take constructive criticism. Don’t take what people say about you or your music to heart! Just do you, booboo. I promise you’ll be happier.

Lastly, I’m curious. What’s on your Spoty right now?

I’ve mostly been listening to recent releases; however, my taste in music can literally be put on a spectrum (e.g. Disney movie soundtracks to RnB/Hip-Hop). As of right now, you can catch me at AHS or SLC listening to these on a loop at any given time:

• More Life – Drake

• ÷ (Deluxe) – Ed Sheeran

• 24K Magic – Bruno Mars

• 7/27 (Deluxe) – Fifth Harmony

• Formation – Beyoncé

• 4 Your Eyez Only – J. Cole

• Sweet Sexy Savage – Kehlani
Chelsey Pangilinan is a French and Business student at the University of Waterloo. She is very obsessed with unicorns and iced coffee drinks.
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets