This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Everyday could be the best day of your life or the worst day of your life. You never know. Life can be very unpredictable. No matter what type of day you have, you can own it! Here are a few tips to help you own the day.

Set daily goals Set at least one goal for yourself each day. It can be as small as writing one page of an essay or as large as running 5k in the morning. If you set a goal and complete it by the end of the day, you have accomplished something! You did something that will help you in the future. Go you!

Recover from your mistakes

You may have gotten a low midterm mark back or forgot to meet up with a friend. Whatever the mistakes you made, they don’t define you. Let me repeat: The mistakes you make do not define who you are. Mistakes are lessons learned. Don’t be so hard on yourself when you make a mistake; instead, see how you can learn from the mistake and grow as a person. Ask yourself where you went wrong and how you can improve next time.

Be patient with yourself and others You may be waiting in line for the subway or waiting for class to end. Instead of stressing out over how long it is taking, take time to be present in the moment and be patient. Eventually time will pass. If we rush or hurry on things, we may miss out on something that will affect us in the future. Enjoy the present.

Take time for yourself You could have a ton a different things to do. Maybe you have an exam to write or a group presentation. No matter how your day goes, take some time for yourself. Whatever day you have you should spend time with the person you spend time with the most: yourself! Do something you enjoy, like reading, exercising, cooking, or watching Netflix. This will help you destress and connect with yourself.

So, today, tomorrow, or any day, go out there and make the day yours! Own it!

Photo Credits: Cover Photo, Photo 1

Hawa Latuke

Waterloo '21

Fourth year of the double degree program pursing a bachelors of mathematics at the University of Waterloo and a bachelors of business administration at Wilfrid Laurier University.   Avid tea drinker. 
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!