Activities To Do In Waterloo This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Hope all you Warriors had a great winter break! As the winter term gets started, work loads may be a little lighter and, despite the often frightening cold, it is the perfect time for winter activities. Waterloo may seem small at times, but there are many great ways to enjoy the winter weather in Waterloo.

1. Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks

A good way to enjoy the Waterloo community is to go ice skating! The City of Waterloo lists rinks and locations here. Most locations are BYO skates, but you can rent from certain stores near the rinks.

• Waterloo Public Square rink is a nice setting in Uptown right by the Plaza shops

• Laurelwood and Stillmeadow rinks are near the University (short bus ride)

Remember that the quality of the ice depends on weather and volunteer maintenance.

2. Indoor Ice Skating at CIF (and other open rec activities)

Want to embrace a winter sport but it’s too cold outside? CIF has open rec skate times.

Skating not your thing? Check out other open rec schedules.

3. Chicopee skiing / snowboarding

Chicopee ski and summer resort in Kitchener offers skiing or snowboarding beginner lessons with an instructor, equipment rentals, and a lift ticket. They also offer private lessons. It’s not Banff, but it’s a fun winter activity nonetheless. See: http://www.discoverchicopee.com/index.php/winter-season/beginner_lessons/

4. Going to be in the Waterloo area for reading break? Winterloo!

Reading break seems far away for now, but it’ll sneak up pretty quickly. From February 23-25 2018 Waterloo hosts events in categories such as winter sports, winter survival, winter cultures & stay warm by the fire. Check out: http://www.waterloo.ca/winterloo/

5. Tobogganing

A fun way to let loose, yell, and roll around in the snow. Kitchener’s McLennan Park has a formal tobogganing run in the Winter. Grab a sled (or even a big piece of cardboard)!

Kaufmann Flats off University Ave and Lexington is also a local hit. Want to stay closer to home? Try tobogganing by the soccer fields near CIF off Columbia St W, across from the football field.

6. Build a snowman!

If you were born in a place that normally gets snow in the winter, this may seem like a not-so creative idea. However, there are lots of people who either have never experienced snow, or who have never built a snowman before. Just the other day my roommate and I went out and built three, since the snow was so perfect! Wet, heavy snow is the best for building. Dig around for some twigs to use as arms and take some pictures. Also, if the snow is right for snowman building, that also means snowballs can easily be made – snowball fight anyone? Let your inner kid out and forget about all those assignments for an hour or two.

7. Get outside and explore!

It may not seem as exciting an option, but sometimes putting your mitts, jacket, and boots on and going out on a walk to explore a new area or just to ‘walk in a winter wonderland’ can be fun. I suggest looking at a map and planning a route beforehand or having your phone with access to a maps app incase you get lost or forget how to get back…it happens! Hint: there is a trail that goes from Columbia St W around Columbia Lake, past Brubacher house and OpenText building all the way up to Bearinger Rd. It may be a little isolated at times, so keep safety precautions in mind.

Looking for more things to do? Check out the city’s event calendar.

Image Credits: 1 3 4 5 6

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros