5 Quick and Easy Things To Do to Feel more Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Everyone has those days; the ones where you pull out your five-pack highlighter set, and the overpriced agenda you had sworn you’d use but still has the plastic wrap on it. You spend hours making an elaborate, colour coded To-Do list… all instead of actually doing your work.

I usually tell myself something along the lines of, “I may not have my life together, but at least I look like I do.”  

But now that it’s reading week… you actually have the time to do all of the things you’ve been “hoping” to. You can’t excusably put them off and blame your lack of productivity on school and “being too busy.”

Now, in the interest of being honest with myself, I have to admit a part of me goes into my list making knowing I’m not getting to the end of my list. Actually, a part of me knows it’s likely I will not touch my list.

But to spare myself disappointment for wasting away my reading week, I do mini productivity projects. They can all be done in 10 minutes or less if you choose to, and while they won’t help shrink your To-Do List, finishing these might just empower you to take it on tomorrow.

1. Update your LinkedIn

No, you aren’t studying for your impending English midterm, but really what is more beneficial to your career? Whether it is adding in a new volunteer position, putting a new spin on your existing title, or adding some new connections, it’s a worthwhile investment of your time.

2. Message one person a day that you haven’t spoken to in a while

There’s nothing nicer than getting a message from an old friend who says they’ve been thinking of you! Home for the weekend? Use that as an excuse to catch up with your old high school gang, or a friend who happens to be on co-op in your town.

Just send a “Hey, how are you?”, or maybe a longer message referencing an Instagram post you saw of theirs. Since this one is pretty easy and fun, I think it would be nice to message one person a day.

3. Clean out your inbox

A clean inbox will declutter your soul.

Sweep out the junk mail that’s been sitting there since the fall. Reply to the email chains your aunt has been forwarding you and make sure you didn’t miss any bills in there!

4. Go for a walk

Yeah, it’s not the gym. But you’ve finally left your bed, right? And you should get points for that.

Whether you find a local trail or just lap the block, the cold fresh air is enough to wake you up a bit and mix up your routine.

5. Get rid of some old clothes

If you haven’t worn it in the past two years, you probably won’t ever. You’re just making your life harder by keeping it around!

Donate it at a local clothing drop box, and you’re helping others.

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!