5 Perfect Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

We know how busy everyone gets during the Thanksgiving weekend and the week leading up to it, whether that be with school assignments, midterms or family commitments. Finding time to bring a side dish or a small meal to a family Thanksgiving lunch or dinner can be super stressful! In order to relieve some of the stress of the upcoming holidays, below are some super quick and easy recipe ideas that you can whip up in no time!

1. Autumn Apple Salad

This is an easy salad to make with some great fall fruits. If you are on a time crunch, definitely refer to this recipe. You can have a salad finished and be out the door in under 20 minutes!

Ingredients

• 4 tart green apples, cored and chopped

• 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted

• 1/4 cup dried cranberries

• 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries

• 1 (8 ounce) container vanilla yogurt

Directions

• In a medium bowl, stir together the apples, almonds, cranberries, cherries, and yogurt until evenly coated.

Prep Time: 10 mins

Ready in: 10 mins

2. Turkey Pot Pie

I don’t know about you, but pot pies are one of my favourite easy and quick meals. There’s something about a pot pie that is instantly relaxing and cathartic. This recipe takes a little longer to cook but worth it!

Ingredients

• 1 (15 ounce) package pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

• 2 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-size pieces

• 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

• 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper blend

• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

• 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line an 8-inch pie dish with 1 pastry crust; set the other crust aside.

• In a bowl, mix the turkey, cream of chicken soup, seasoned salt and pepper, cheddar cheese, and mixed vegetables. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish. Top the pie with the remaining pie crust, then pinch and fold the edges of the crusts together to seal. Cut a slit into the top of the pie crust with a sharp knife to vent the steam.

• Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes.

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook: 40 mins

Ready in: 55 mins

3. Mini Garlic Bread

What isn’t appealing about mini foods, let alone any type of garlic bread?!?! In just 10 minutes, you can make yourself some bite sized little treats to share with all your friends this coming weekend!

Ingredients

• 1 (16-ounce) tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

• 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan

• 4 cloves garlic, minced

• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil

• 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

• Pinch of salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly oil a 12-cup standard muffin tin or coat with nonstick spray.

2. Cut each of the 8 biscuits into eighths, making 64 pieces.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together butter, Parmesan, garlic, oregano, basil, parsley and salt, reserving 2 tablespoons; set aside. Stir in biscuit pieces and gently toss to combine.

4. Drop 5-6 pieces into each muffin cup. Using your fingertips, gently press the last piece in the center.

5. Place into oven and bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.

6. Serve immediately, brushed with remaining butter mixture.

Prep Time: 10 mins

Ready in: 10 mins

4. Sweet Potato Soufflé

Sounds fancy right? Make it look like you have put a lot more time and effort into your cooking than you actually have ;)

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon butter

• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes

• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup

• 1 tablespoon salt

• 1 tablespoon sugar

• 1/2 cup whole milk

• 3 large eggs

• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

• whipped cream

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Butter a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish; dust with sugar.

2. In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk; simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; mix in sweet potatoes and egg yolks. Stir in maple syrup and nutmeg, and set aside.

3. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of whites into sweet potato mixture; using a rubber spatula, gently fold in remaining whites. Pour mixture into prepared dish; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until puffed, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately, with whipped cream, if desired.

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook: 45 mins

Ready in: 1 hour

5. Butternut Squash Bread Pudding

Do you ever get tired of the same old boring pie and biscuits at Thanksgiving? Me too… try out something new this year with a fancy but healthy pudding!

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking dish

• 2 medium onions, chopped

• 1½ pounds butternut squash (about half a medium squash)—peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch pieces

• kosher salt and black pepper

• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

• 6 large eggs

• 2 cups whole milk

• ¾ pound soft French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 7 ½ cups)

• ½ pound Gruyère, grated (2 cups)

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375° F. Oil a 2 ½- to 3-quart baking dish.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, in 4 to 5 minutes. Add the squash, season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cook, tossing frequently, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the sage. Let cool for 10 minutes.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the bread, cheese, and squash mixture and toss to coat.

4. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden brown and set, 55 to 60 minutes.

Prep Time: 15 mins

Ready in: 1 hour

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ☺

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros