This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Coming into college, there are infinite things to think about, such as grades, dorm life, classes, extra activities and in the process of all of that, making friends is a topic you can’t get out of your head. (Probably the reason why you’re reading this) Coming into college, I was also very concerned about the type of friends I wanted to make or if I was even able to make friends. Confidence is key to making friends.

Confidence will make people want to be around you. That’s what I learned when I came to college. The #1 rule I always follow is to “think everyone wants to be around you”. This boosts your confidence level to the max. Even if you don’t think this is true, persuade yourself. Walk into a room and think, everyone wants to get to know me and everyone loves me. This will give you the confidence to friendly approach everyone and anyone you wish to talk to. Being confident in the type of person you are is very important when it comes to making friends that last. Be yourself and that’s what matters.

In reality, not everyone will want to be around you. Accept that. You can’t make everyone like you but you can think that they do at least for the moment you introduce yourself to him/her. As much as you want friends and as much as you don’t want to be alone, don’t put yourself in a position where you want to be around a friend that doesn’t want to be with you. Cut yourself away from that friend. You don’t deserve that but cutting someone away from your life also requires confidence so have some confidence. Someone who likes you for who you are is the person you want to be with. Quality over Quantity!