andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

“Summer” and “enjoy” seem synonymous to most students. Summer means no school: project deadlines, homework assignments, morning classes. Summer means more sun, more time for yourself, more time to explore. But I’m sure more than one girl can attest to envisioning all these great tumblr-worthy days at the start of summer and then realizing weeks-in that Netflix has seen more of your face than some of your friends.  So, while we all love and deserve a good movie binge here and there, here are some tips for creating days you’ll remember.

1. Keep a Schedule!

I know for me and a handful of my friends, agendas are lifesavers when it comes to school. They relieve the stress of having to wonder if you forgot to do something and are also good storages for all sorts of notes to self. During the summer, agendas can help set the pace and make scheduling GNOs a lot easier. If you’re struggling from couch-potato syndrome, then go get yourself a cute agenda and a nice pen. That step alone will motivate you to fill it up with plans written in cute handwriting. There’s just something about visualizing what exactly you’re doing or not doing that helps. Agendas also come in handy when you’re working or know you have a two-week family trip and then a wedding to attend and then something else mom said that you forgot. Double-booking and having to cancel is never fun and neither is being late to work! So solve the problem by writing it all down the second you hear it, preferably with a glitter gel pen.

2. Be a Tourist in Your Own Town

If you’re at home for the summer and are tired of seeing Instagram posts of your friends abroad (#wanderlust), then pick yourself up and get outside. Chances are, you’ve been to most of the well-known places around, but try going to them again! Things might have changed since the last time you were there or maybe the last time you went, you were five and with your extended family. Give your city more credit and explore! It also helps to bring a camera with the intention of getting a cool shot. This way, you end up looking around for things you find beautiful. Also, take a friend or three. Good company always adds an element of adventure no matter where you go.

3. Do Research on Underrated Spots in Your State

I’m lucky to live in Washington State, which is filled with trees and mountains to climb and lakes and the ocean to swim in.  So there’s an abundance of good spots being discovered all the time—places to hike, to swim, to camp. I found that after a 10 minute Google search, I already had a list of places I’d never heard of that I wanted to visit. Most were a few hours drive, but if you have the time and a friend who’s down to go, then what’s stopping you? Just save up for gas and food, and you’re off on a mini road trip. You may even get lost on the way and find that the detour brings you to more untouched beauty. If your state doesn’t have much in the nature/views department, look up good eats. Try restaurants you’ve never heard of or have been too basic to try. Chipotle is good, I hear ya, but I promise that hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant is too! A good rule of thumb: if the owners are from/affiliated with the country of the cuisine, it should be decent.

4. Get Into a Workout Regimen

If you already have one, great, but if you’re struggling to get out of bed, then try this. Working out, even if not for a long duration, is not only good for you, but also a good boost of energy. Take the time to do a minimum routine everyday and then see if you can’t build it up over time. Cut the caffeine and challenge yourself to a 10-minute stretching session when you wake up or 30 squats before you shower. Just write down your chosen exercises and the amount in your agenda, put on some good tunes, and you’ll find yourself more rejuvenated. My suggestion would be to take neighborhood walks at dusk with a family member or on the phone with a friend. Combining personal time/catching-up with some sort of physical activity will keep things fun.

5. Try to Maintain a Regular Sleep Schedule

Now I know how hard this is with late-night shifts to sleepovers with the best, but with the exception of those things, try not to stay up on your laptop until 3 every night. It feels better to wake up with the sun and be able to eat a good breakfast than to find yourself wanting a late-night Cup Noodle and then waking up at lunchtime. Your body and mind will thank you for the rest. You’ll be sharper and more alert on a day-to-day basis, which will help motivate you to go out and actually try that hot yoga class or grab coffee with that old friend. Also, drink a tall glass of water first thing when you wake up! Before coffee even!! It will get your system going.

6. Find Ways to Say “Yes!”

As much as I enjoy time to myself, I recognize that good company fosters good memories. I really won’t remember all the nights I stayed in and browsed Pinterest for three hours. Instead of shying away from plans, push yourself to try new things and to meet new people. Go spend some time with that friend who’s been trying to make plans for awhile now. Initiate a hangout! If you can’t make it to something you’ve been invited to, try to schedule some time together another day. It’s important to take the time you need to recharge, and yes, some people get anxious after just an hour of hanging out, but I can assure you that you will be grateful you tried to crawl out of your usual bubble. Even if just a little.

7. Try DIY Recipes

Regular baking recipes are always good fun, but summer grants newfound time for more than just a cake; you can take on an entirely new project. After a few scrolls and clicks on the Internet, you’ll be sure to come across some sort of neat arts-and-craftsy DIY inspiration. You can usually find most of the materials for pretty cheap. Take this time to really work on something tangible to the point of improvement. This way, at the end of the summer, you can have something to be proud of and also a new hobby/skill. It’s also fun to be able to make your own gifts for loved ones. Pretty and aromatic bath salts in a cute little bag are an easy way to brighten up someone’s day.

8. Dedicate Time Away From Technology

This may be the hardest to achieve for many, but it is also the most refreshing. Taking time to absorb what’s going on around you is more rewarding than gaining a new follower. Really seeing and hearing what people are doing and saying gives you time to think. It gives you time to pause the white noise, the media saturation that seeps into our minds so effortlessly these days. Try to be more intentional with how you spend your time. If you feel that you’ve been hooked on your phone for awhile, find the willpower to put it down and find a book to read in a nice peaceful place. I personally like reading in my bathtub with a few pillows around me. If you’re hanging out with friends, try to give your undivided attention to them. It not only makes them feel better, but it allows you to be truly present. There’s a reason why people have their genius moments in the shower.

All in all, just remember that adventure is out there. Find your inner Russell and take a chance.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Erin Lee

Washington '17

I guess the format goes something like year, major, clubs...but I don't really think those things are integral to defining who I am. What really defines me is a loaded question, so I'll just throw out some things that come to mind: 1. I'm one of those social introverts. I much prefer small group and one-on-one interactions, but I can deal with large mixers. So long as I have a mixed drink in hand. 2. I am proud to live in the PNW. I mean, make fun of Socality posts all you want (I do), but we have trees. We have mountains. Water (both swimmable and drinkable, California). All four seasons. And diversity. Diverse cultures. This means more history. More food. More languages.  3. I thrive on intelligent conversation. I don't mean that in a pretentious way. I just mean that I lack the patience for small talk or shallow conversations. I value honesty to the point where it's a bit abrasive--I want to know what makes you tick. We can discuss favorite colors later. Intelligent conversation also means creating a space for listening and learning in the face of disagreement.  4. I'm definitely into the arts more than athletics. Not saying I am artistically skilled, more like artistically inclined. I find beauty in art of all media. But especially, especially music. What am I currently listening to? The OST for Whiplash. So, Big Band Jazz! All the thumbs up.   Okay I'll stop here because this was supposed to be short. But yes, I am in college. I go to the University of Washington and I'm pursuing a business marketing degree.