The Poem That Changed How I Felt About Poetry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I came across a poem that touches all of my senses, and I can’t lie – I love to read and write poems more than ever in my life after I’ve read this poem. I never liked reading poems before, I felt like being a poet, or someone who enjoys reading poetry, had some association with being emotional and sensitive. It is not that I think being emotional and sensitive is not acceptable, but sometimes people misunderstood sensitivity as the definition of weakness. I was deeply moved by the poem “13 Tips to Understanding a Girl,” and this poem has given me an understanding of a girl and taught me the power of language. 

13 Tips to Understanding a Girl

by Logan Gabrielle Blunt

I was deeply moved by how sharp her choice of words was, describing the feelings that were remarkably relatable to mine. Shedding some tears as I read the poem was my way of appreciating her work and thankful that I came across to it. When I was younger, I had trouble showing how I felt simply through words. It has opened my eyes through this poem how writing can help someone to express how they feel. I fell in love with words, in which each person has a unique way in delivering them, and that is where I found the beauty of it. 

Safira Vasya

Washington '20

About me: I am a pre-med biology student at UW! I am a writing enthusiast, oldies music lovers and a cat whisperer since ‘98. Find me on Twitter @SafiraVasya Let's chat!